Hull full of gas! What the H***!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hull full of gas! What the H***!

So, we limited on King and caught some Spanish Mackerel Saturday morning, came back in, cleaned our fish, boat, and dock. Then, our day progressed as usual, a few beverages, and some grub. As we were preparing for our trip out to the rigs this morning, we were filling up with gas and noticed that we couldn't get the tank to fill up. As the gas was being poured, I decided to run the bilge just to ensure we were dry before taking off.

Much to my surprise, the fluid being pumped out smelled an awful lot like gasoline. Upon further inspection, it was. When looking into the belly of the hull, this premonition was unfortunately realized as the reality.

Strangely enough, we recently had the boat serviced and water was found in the gas tank, which shorted out the VRO. I specifically asked if there was a leak in the tank and the mechanic was emphatic that there was not.

Part of me wants to think there is a relation between the two, but I do not know how this has happened. B.Lulo and I inspected the fuel fill line, gas line to motor, and the tank itself, unable to find anything apparently awry.

Any ideas? Heard of anything like this? I'm boggled, disgruntled, and quite frankly, infuriated. On another note, if anyone needs a crew for Sunday AM, we have 3 in Sea Isle with gear and plenty of gas, haha.

sounds like the ethanol in the gas likely ate a hole in your tank! is your gas tank fiberglass if so im sure thats it!
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

We have an aluminum tank. I'm assuming we should get the gas out quickly so that it doesn't eat through my hull, correct? Mechanic isnt available until tomorrow and I do not have a place to offload that much gas. Good thing is we noticed the issue before the hull was full, 5-10 gallons i would say.

Comment

Buddies boat had a problem with water in the tank due to a leaking vent line.
        Upon inspection the vent was found to not have a loop which forms a p-trap not allowing water to just run straight in the tank and backfill. Although that could be the reason for water in your tank, I don't see how the gas could be in the hull unless the ventline had a leak in it. Might check it first before tackling the tank.
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

where did u launch from? i saw a guy with a mess of kings at the boat ramp we used to get tot the north jetty. they said they went out 38 miles.
          NoBama

Comment

whoever was pumping didn't fill up the rod holders did they?

I have heard of stories like that before when someone mistakes a rod holder for a gas cap
            XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

I filled the boat and am positive I did not our into the rod holder.

I'm agreeing with the vent line diagnosis. Water does not constantly flow into the tank, as of yet, and there has been no more gas in the hull after we used buckets to drain it....fire extinguisher in hand.

We launched from the house we keep it at in Sea Isle. We hit kings 10 miles out.

Comment

It sure sounds like a broken or disconnected tank vent. The only thing that does not quite fit with that is your report of water in the gas. Water should not be able to get in through the vent line. Maybe the water in the gas was a different issue.
                Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                and
                Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Sounds like a hole or filler hose or vent line. Check all fuel line connections and filler and vent hoses-if good, tank is bad.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

In thinking about the situation, I do recall a hose with one end hanging free towards the transom, just above the bilge, but could not see where the other end connected underneath the hull.

I certainly hope the fix is something this small or a loose/worn out fitting. A problem with the gas tank will require my removal of the T-top, console, bench seat, bait/live well, a cooler, stereo, CB, GPS. I would not be happy.

Comment

Good luck. I just got my 23' Robalo back after having the coffin box gas tank replaced-they had to pull T-Top, controls/electrical and pull floorboards and clean out coffin box, replace tank and all lines-about $2300 total (tank alone was $825). I feel your pain!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Got a claim into insurance for the first issues and they have accepted adding this onto the first claim. With any luck at all, they will cover this ordeal without applying a second deductible.

Comment

A surveyor with the insurance company, myself, B.Lullo, and our mechanic have all been over the boat from every angle possible. The hoses are tight, do not appear or feel to have any tears or leaks, the integrity of the tank seems solid, so....we are at a loss. We are waiting to hear of the insurance company will pay to have the T-Top, enter console, leaning post/cooler, and electronics removed to completely expose the tank.

If they do not, what are our next options?

Comment

If it were mine, I would drain the fuel, cap the vent plug the fuel line and do a pressure check. It should hold a few pounds of air pressure overnight if everything is tight. Get a gauge that will show 2-4 psi. Allow for pressure changes because of temprature increases and decreases. If you do the pressure test with fuel in the tank and the bilge gets fuel in it again, the leak is below the top of the tank or the fuel line. If you have fuel in the tank and loose pressure but not fuel, the leak is in the upper portion of the tank, vent or filler or the gasket around the fuel gauge sending unit.

Good luck, it is a pain in the butt chasing down fuel leaks.
                            Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea, RonE, any way I could coax you with a case of a particular ice cold beverage and some snacks?

Comment

Working...
                              X