Boomvang 7-23/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boomvang 7-23/24

Well what a trip...Met at the marina at 2 on Thursday, loaded the World Cat with as much ice that fit, and then the rods, we realized we had way more rods then would fit on the boat and started culling...Left the jetties at 3pm to some horrible confused seas for the first 30 miles. About that time we made bait and I decided to look at the XM. All was good except the little ittie bittie storm in Houston.

Make it to Tequilla and my cell phone rings, and my brother calls me and tells me to watch it's bad on land. I look at XM and there is this HUGE freaking storm(now for those that don't know or don't have it XM makes a rain shower look horrible like yellow maybe some orange for a shower, however, I do like it to go "overboard" it has saved me quite a few times). It looks to be tracking SE so we pressed on and said at this point we run from it towards Corpus or wherever needed. The seas had laid down by now, we were making about 30knots. We finally arrive at Boomvang at 830.

My first drop down on a butterly jig, I get hit on the way down but I missed. I have a superstition(sp?) about missing the first fish and it aint a good one. However, on this day it was not true. We then begin to catch some Blackfin.

Roughly about 10ish or so we have caught some "Bait" blackfin, and we're still jiggin. I bought a Avet JX and OTI jigging rod, a couple weeks ago. People that have been on the boat have made fun of it that haven't really jigged. Its 5'2" and probably action like a stiff bay rod and is probably as thin as it. The main guy that makes fun of it was using it. This is after last week he lost about $30 of my jigs on probably Aj's at least a couple were. He was 0'er on it. He's jigging and it gets smoke peeling line like crazy after a little fight, we had our first yellowfin in the boat. Probably an hour later we have our 2nd yellowfin in the boat same rig same jig, it gotta kind of quite for a while still maintaining our blackfin count. So me being the weakland I am figured it was time to jump in the bean bag and tuck it in for a while. That last about 2 minutes and another one is hooked up in the boat. The signifigant thing about this "jig" is you spend so much money on rods/reels, gas, bait, ice, beer all this stuff. This specific jig was on the clearance aisle at Academy that was a glow in the dark jig for $1.99. And we still got it lol...

Around 4 or so we had caught a couple flying fish. We had been chunking as well all night with not much luck. So we put one of those on out about 3 minutes and smoked, fish came off. Had one more and it smoked, only difference this didn't come off. We then hoked another one almost right after so we had 5. It was 5am and I was still wanting a nap. So this time I laid down and I was out like a light. I always said I wanted a clicker sound as an alarm clock. Well let me tell you, you do not want that. There is nothing like being sound asleep with a 30 wide right by your ear gets smoked by a yellowfin. This thing was so loud and scared the ever living poopoo out of me I almost jumped out of the boat. So of course I grab the rod and we have our 6th yellow fin. We have also got some bigger blackfin by now.

630 am we point the bow of the World Cat North make a pit stop with some thirsty shrimpers and got back to the jetties at 11. Boat cleaned up and fish cleaned by 330 in bed by 8 and did it all over again today. That report is forwarned going to be a boring report because it sucked.

Ok I do actually have pictues heck I even have video, but haven't edited that and dont' want to put that on there, the language that was used in it may not be appropriate lol..but the pictures are giving me fits I'll try to add some here in a minute again.

Nice job on those yellow fin. I got to see on my trip that those flying fish are kind of the key to tuna fishing. Those yellow fin were busting the top of the water and flying out. I had used a plug and hooked up on 3 yellow fin, 2 blow ups and one undersized to show for. What an exciting night. We were heading in while you were heading out in the nasty weather. We hit it just about 20 miles out of the galveston jetties and we were in green waters. I can not wait to find myself out that far again soon.

I went threw about 5 butterfly jigs, knocked all the chrome off two diamond jigs and never really slept a wink the whole night. Glad you got a few yellow fin.

Comment

ok got the pictures to work now..
      Attached Files

Comment

good report and pics
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Good job seaweed.

Comment

nice job.congrats
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Great report Seaweed!! Nice haul and nice pics. Congrats!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice tuna, good work and great pictures.
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks it was a blast...can't wait to do it all over again. However, I did discover my T-Top cracked so this could potentially be a show stopper for a little while. I just went to the boat and got pictures. Someone needs to learn how to weld is what it amounts to. But none the less it's on 2 of the back "Main" beams and I don't feel comfortable running iwth it as it is half way around the pipe.

Comment

Thanks for the report Scotty.

Comment

Great report! Nice photos!
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

had same thiing happen to Grady White's top-we lashed it with good nylon rope and that worked for a trip or two until we got it welded.
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                        X