Baitwell filling up on its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitwell filling up on its own

Was heading offshore today, and right as the time I was getting to the SLP, I noticed water running by my feet from either side of the center console. I checked the baitwell under the front seat.

We use it as a cooler. When I lifted the seat/lid to the bait well, it was full to the brim. I know why it didn't self drain because one of the bags of ice was covering the overflow drain. But, the baitwell switch was in the OFF position and when the plug was removed from the bottom, it drained immediately and there was NO water flowing into the reservoir.

Any ideas on how this could happen?

The switch got turned on accidently?
    Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

There's usually a T-Valve that you can turn off and on. (There is on our Robalo) this prevents water from being picked up and pushed up and into the livewell. I'd look around your intake lines to see if there is a lever you can turn to close the pipes and not allow water to be "forced" in there.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Should be a stopcock valve between pick-up and well; otherwise you need to trace the lines and make sure they are not leaking elsewhere as well. Has this ever happened before, or when running have you had water running to livewell but draining unless drain stopped up or covered? Let us know.

Good luck.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Baitwell filling

Water iscoming in through the hull inlet that the pump uses, same thing happens in my boat and on others I've been on. On mine, the seacock is hidden well below decks. My quick fix is to simply put a plug in the nozzle which fills the baitwell. The force of the water is not that great (unless the pump is on), so this keeps the seawater from entering the baitwell, until I want it to. Then simply pull the plug when you need it as a baitwell.

Comment

Working...
          X