Live Bait system - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Bait system - any suggestions?

I am looking for a live bait system beside the usually buck and bubbles system you can purchase at Academy for $ 10.00. I have a bait pen, but this heat is killing the shrimp within a few hours.

Any suggestions? I have seen a few cooler rigged up with a pump system. Does anyone know how to make one? If so, I will pay for material and your time.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

I saw a Round insulated Igloo at the Dollar General this weekend for $15. It hold a bit more water that the foam bucket your are taling about. I have heard from peopel that if you get a plastic bottle and fill it with water and freeze, you can wedge it to the bottom the the cooler to keep the water temp lower. I just plan to epoxy somthing on the outside to hold the bubbler and drill a hole for the air tube and caulk it.

I will let you know how it turns out when I make mine next weekend.
    NoBama

Comment

I will never go back to air bubble systems.....

O2 is the only way to go

Get a hold of Thomas Barlow aka Texxan1

He will get you dialed in
      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post

O2 is the only way to go

Will do, thanks for the information.
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

EX 21:

My bait barrel is outta the sun, but with 90 degree water, my shrimp cook, but they last several days with prolly 15-20% mortality rate per day-the bait pen/barrel can't be in the sun. I leave a double hosed aquarium air pump runing 24/7 in the barrel. The O2 systems are great, but ya gotta refill o2 tanks and ya gotta exchange/change the water or the nitrogen and ammonia build and they die. O2 systems are about $200 also-they do work great and are portable to boat use as well. Try an aquarium pump-those 12 volt academy sprayers are pretty worthless-those pumps generate heat and adds to the killing. The aquarium pump doesn't add heat, just bubbles-and with two hoses and stones, it works pretty good-in the winter, they last for weeks/months almost. I've also tried a submersible pump-it didn't work too good-also added heat and we sent it up to spray like at a bait camp. I think the key is no sun, water movement (lotsa holes), aquarium pump and maybe frozen ziplocks of ice when ya put em up at night or day.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post

O2 is the only way to go

X's 2 on Thomas!!
            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Thomas and I are communicating about getting one of his O2 systems. Thanks for your help everyone.
              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Good to see you called Thomas on it. I hear those things are AWESOME if you chunk meat!
                They make a great livewell system also.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Doing it for Donna, she likes throwing live bait and I can not argue when you get those reports for AP!
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                    Doing it for Donna, she likes throwing live bait and I can not argue when you get those reports for AP!
                    I'm not saying it don't catch fish or that I am above it, but I enjoy throwing arties more. There is nothing like a big red blowing up a top....or even a little trout blowing up a top. I don't care what it is as long it gets my heart pumping!
                    I will occasionally break out with Shrimp or Croaker for a little fun!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Oxygen response system sold at Boyds on the TC dike. It may be the best system you come across with a bait pen that you have.

Comment

I posted up a post earlier about this thread and nothing was posted SOB!!! Anyways contact Texxan1 like MuddSkipper said... He set me up.
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Any updates? I'm thinking about one also.
                          West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                            Any updates? I'm thinking about one also.
                            I will post pictures of my setup...
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Coe, please do. I have not purchased mine yet. Holding out for now, but plan on getting one eventually.
                              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
                              X