New Yak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yak!

Had the folks pick up a new (to me) kayak up in Austin.

This one will be used for hauling around duck hunting stuff as it can carry a lot more than my mini-x. Should also make a comfortable lay-out blind. The capacity should make it a nice camping boat too.

It's faster than the mini-x as well, so maybe I'll go hunting for those reds too. Of all the kayaks around, it's supposed to have the most comfortable seat.

I'm stoked! Time to camo this bad mama out!

The Ultimate is a comfortable boat, for sure. The only thing that I had a problem with was cleaning mine after a fishing trip. You will find that it is almost impossible to get water out of it.

I solved my problem by taking a 1" hole saw and punching through the top at the stern, right in front of the foam block in the stern. Now I can roll it over onto it's side, lift the bow, and the water and dirt will drain out fairly easily.

One other tip - buy yourself a manual bilge pump. The first time that you are caught in the rain, you will understand why.
    Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
    and
    Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Thanks for the tips Walker, I can definently see the need for a bilge on the thing. I was at least going ot carry a cup for bailing, but the bilge sounds better (and more classy ).

I've paddled one of my buddie's Ultimate 14.5s and it was a nice boat, but it had trouble draining too. The rail that runs along the side keeps the water from coming out. I do plan to drill an appropriate hole somewhere to drain it.

I'm curious how much water will splash in while paddling in rough water and a crosswind. I may purchase/make a skirt for the front of the boat.

Comment

I thought about a skirt, but decided that it would probably be more of a hindrance than help. Plus, it would be something to worry about the wind destroying while truck-topping at 80MPH. The guy at Austin Canoe and Kayak really talked me out of buying one - he confirmed what I thought and also told me that the skirt is a real PITA to put on and take off.

Not that much water gets in, unless I am getting in and out - which I do a lot of. I seem to bring mud and water into the boat every time.

Yep - it's that rail along the gunwale that holds the water in. No matter what you do, it just won't let the water get out. If you get mud into the boat, it seems like you can pour off almost all the water, but the rail traps all of the sediment, making it damned near impossible to get the sediment out.

Punching that big hole in the right place solved that problem.
        Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
        and
        Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Sweet Yak! Enjoy.
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Hmm, I'll have to look and see about the skirt then. If not too much water comes in, I could even just keep a sponge in it, and wring it out on occasion. I was thinking it would help to conceal it too, but I'll probably be making a ghille-material cover for it, or just buy a bunch of fastgrass. Those dang skirts are about $100 a piece, and you need 4 of them to cover the whole thing!

Comment

Good deal..When I worked at FTU we sold allot of those.

Comment

nice yak
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Dang Yan that is an awesome looking ride, man I got to get back in the swing of things so I can how that sweet momma looks in the water.
                  Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

I need to get me a kayak like that.

Comment

now you just need to get it all geeked out. Don't forgot to pick up a milk crate from Walmart.

Comment

Yan, I have a boat wrap 3M removable adhesive sheets can get you to Advantage Wetlands real quick just take me with you a few times or give me some intel on the hunting this season
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Shoot, I'll be looking at you for the intel. And to drag that thing deep into the marsh for me This fat kid ain't paddling past green's

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                            Shoot, I'll be looking at you for the intel. And to drag that thing deep into the marsh for me This fat kid ain't paddling past green's
                            That thing can easily be strapped to the Gator-Tail... At the proper time I shall cut the rope securing the Yak and stop abruptly sending you flying in the Kayak deep into the marsh

Nahh on a serious note no worries on putting that thing on the boat / strapping it down then heading to the shallows... drop you off and I'll hunt down the way
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

That thing can easily be strapped to the Gator-Tail... At the proper time I shall cut the rope securing the Yak and stop abruptly sending you flying in the Kayak deep into the marsh
                              You better hold my beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X