OS Maty 8/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Maty 8/4

Hooked up with Jesse Arsola, his son Payton, Ryan Rachunek, and Mark (sorry no last name) for a little offshore action. Seas weren't too bad ranging mostly 1-2 ft, water quality was excellent with green water reaching almost to the beach. Plan was to put Payton on some kings on light tackle using cheap Walmart $1.99 crankbaits trolled around near shore rigs. We weren't dissappointed, and had 3 hookups within 30 minutes.
    Next we pulled into the rig and began our search for a late season snapper bite. Again, spanish sardines and squid either straight hooked, or tipped snapper slappers got us what we wanted and we managed a half limit of keepers between the 5 of us. No big ones just some solid 16-20" ones and a few Greys to add to the mix. Throw in a few sharks and a couple reds and the action was pretty steady.
    Next stop was a shrimp boat in the 20 mile range. We threw various jigs, but my 3oz snapper slapper in red/white seemed to be a good choice and after a couple cast under the boat I was rewarded with a under sized ling which got my blood pumping in the hope that there possibly could be a bigger one. Everyone quickly rerigged as we could see a few more lurking looking at the one I had hooked. I left it out long enough to try and draw their(lings) attention, when everyone was ready I pulled it in and released it, made another cast and in a few pops the line was screaming for Mexico. I don't know what it was, but it was smart. The shrimpboats boom had left a chain dangling in the water on both sides and on oneside it was just touching, on the other it went 25ft down easily, and this fish, whatever it was had know problem running me straight into this little obsticle. Added to the fact that my 7000 busted a gear, or something and sounded like a tin can with marbles in it when I tried to reel didn't help the situation. Anyway,still some good fun.
    Next another rig in the 29 mile range. This one held some pretty nice snapper and we managed to finish off our limit here with Mark scoring a solid 15#.
    I managed to end my 2009 snapper season with a respectable 12# so I was pretty happy. All in all it was a good day with something to show for our efforts. When I got home last night, I hadn't eaten yet, so I dredged a couple fresh snapper filets thru some Tony season flour and pan fried them in butter. Just before they were thru I dashed some Marie Sharps habenaro sauce from Belize on them and man were they ever good. Believe i'll do the other 2 for lunch right now.
    We were in Marks new 25ft XLR8 Transport powered with a 250 Suzuki SS. I'm not a salesman for Transport, but that boat was some kind of sweet. We ran thru some pretty good waves coming in and did it at 30-40 mph no problem. 5 people fishing made it a little crowded but only around the console area. Very very nice boat that handled great on this near shore trip.
    Pics are of Payton bowed up, Jesse and Paytonshowing off his first ever light tackle king, Payton cooling off.
    Attached Files
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Where are you Monte? Someone has to shoot the pics right!

Great day on the water for sure! Great conditions way to go!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun. Wish I was diving in that blue stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        Where are you Monte? Someone has to shoot the pics right!

Great day on the water for sure! Great conditions way to go!
        I took the pictures...so what are you saying? The only picture of me is bowed up on the cut off fish at the shrimpboat and you don't wanna see that picture...azz crack and all!
        I should've gotten a picture of the snapper at the cleaning table though...missed that op.
        Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

that's a cool report. thanks for not posting pics of your face on it.

Comment

Nice day, thanks for the report. Still want to go offshore soon in our boat or with one of you FWE anglers. Will pay for gas and beer!
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
              that's a cool report. thanks for not posting pics of your face on it.
              Your welcome!
              Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Great report FoF. I only hope I get at least 1 trip out this year-been too windy when able to go since I got the Robalo back-dangit.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X