North Jetty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Jetty

Got a late start today (11am) and headed to the GYB and then the North Jettys. Found some dinks on the channel side toward the end. Headed to gulf side of the boat cut and immediately caught a 17' trout. I notice in the distance a kayak working it way along the rocks on the gulf side (heading right at us) well, as it turned out, this kayak rolled about fifty feet from my stern, directly across my fishing line. I guess he thought he was "Stealth" enough to not matter. We were so awestruck that he passed so close as we were anchored up and fishing. We just stared at him. Unbelievable...... Then to top it off....two boats pulled up and started throwing cast nets about 20 yards from us.....

Anyway, we didn't see much caught when we hit the GYB cleaning tables. Seems the morning was better than the evening. Still had a great time on the water.
    "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
    "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

We were at the NJetty Sat as well. Lots of boats. We were towards the end, Gulf side. we got in to a bunch of sand trout. I had 2 14 yr olds so this saved the day. Actually it was fun. You had to hold on to the rod when they hit or you would lose it.
    We also had UFO on for about 5 minutes. Kid (at least he had a good fight) saw it and said it was a 5ft shark or more. The line separated were it was compressed/shreded against something. We were using a two foot steel leader.

When you are at the Jetties, you just have to put away any emotion towards people fishing around you. I had them pull within 20 ft of me, anchor within 40, etc.....

Comment

It is amazing how some fishermen do not know the code of conduct on the water. 50 ft. from his stern, now that is a bit close. If it were me, I would have had a new kayak in my boat.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Its through forums like this one that people can be educated on the rules of the water. We were all beginners once and perhaps the current or tide movement through off his drift.

I understand your frustration but that the perks of fishing the "parking lot" and the guys throwing a cast net should check out the Yacht Basin's bait before venturing out to the Jetties.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Some people are so into catching a fish that they don't care what they do to accomplish thier mission. Others of us are happy just fishing, some of us don'e even have to have bait on the hook to be happy on the water. But it does upset most of us when our tranquility is messed with.
          Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Working...
          X