Tomato time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato time

Well with these mild temps, it just got me motivated to clean out one of the winter beds, to prepare for my spring tomatoes. It is vital to get the plants in the ground as early as possible down here in the Houston greater area. We just don't have ideal weather for our plants to grow large enough, for our fruit to set. That's why we see a lot of nice tomato plants here late in the spring that fail to produce, like we would expect them too.

You will have to protect the plants from frost this time of year, but it will be worth it in the end. What you are looking for in a young tomato plant is a nice thick stock, the smallest stock I will select is the diameter of a number 2 pencil, but that foliage better be less then 5 inches from the root ball.

The reason this is so important, is simply for the strength of the overall plant later on in it's life. If you buy a plant with a skinny stock and a tall plant, there is more of a risk for that plant to get damaged at a young age. We all know that during the spring we have high winds, and high winds can damage a young plants stock and if that happens you might as well start over.
    Son of the Republic

gonna get all of mine from flounder pounder Phil again this spring . He grows some awesome heirlooms. I've experienced the same thing with planting too late. once night time temps get in the 80's you can forget about tomatoes setting fruit.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Re: Tomato time

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
      gonna get all of mine from flounder pounder Phil again this spring . He grows some awesome heirlooms. I've experienced the same thing with planting too late. once night time temps get in the 80's you can forget about tomatoes setting fruit.
      I will be getting mine from lurefisher)
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Tomato time

Ibtsoom I'm gunna put my system at your house you can grow them in 90 deg weather !!!
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
          Do you collect your seeds at the end of the season? I normally keep my yellow pears, and sweet 100's because I know the produce well down here. I really like to try different varieties each year.
          Son of the Republic

Comment

Mine are still growing from last Fall. We never had a freeze!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I have mine growing in 2 liter bottles like the phil said to do it.

Comment

I picking a quart a day from my cherry tomatoes, and it's February!
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

This year, I'll be planting a tomato plant and a single okra plant each in their own container. I have to wait for next year to build my garden. My back yard was just treated for chinch bugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X