What weight combo to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weight combo to buy?

I've been dying to get into flyfishing but the price of the gear has been holding me back, but I've decided to make the plunge. Besides, I found a great flyfishing closeout store on line. What weight would be best for saltwater: 8 or 9? I'll be targeting trout, flounder and reds (not bull reds though).
    Also, although I use right hand retrieve on my baitcasters and spinners, I'm thinking I may want a left hand retrieve on my reel. What do you think?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

I have done a fair amount of freshwater fly fishing and have danced around the edges of getting into saltwater fly fishing - I won't let my lack of experience limit me from providing you some free advice.

I would go 8wt. 9wt would be fine but I think it's too much rod for most coastal fishing. You could get by with 7wt but your casting would suffer in windy conditions. I personally like four piece rods because they break down well for travelling and I don't think you lose alot, if anything, in performance.

I would recommend a left hand retrieve on your reel if you are right handed. The fly rod will become permanently embedded in your right hand after all the casting practice. Additionally, when you get a fish on, you need to mend your slack with your off hand until you get the fish on the reel. Add switching rod from right to left hands only adds to the chaos. In my experience, alot of fish are lost in that moment between hookset and slack take up - could just be I'm a bad fly fisherman.

As a beginner, I don't think you have to go all in on an expensive rod. One area I would not scrimp is a good fly line. Getting a good line and keeping it well maintained really helps with good casting.

I look forward to hearing more from those that really know what they are talking about.

Good luck,
    JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Hey Bruce you need to PM Shallowist (Steve Soule)! He will point you in the right direction, and enjoy doing so.
      TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

When you go fly catching Bruce be sure and holler. I want to bring my camcorder.

Comment

This is a link to the site I found: http://www.flyshopcloseouts.com/inde...l-outfits.html
          You can get good combos already loaded with backing and line for decent prices. Some of them come with extra spools or cases.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
            When you go fly catching Bruce be sure and holler. I want to bring my camcorder.
            Sorry Harvey. I'm saving that for America's Funniest Home Videos.

Comment

Stick with the 8WT. to start with.Cast as many as you can get your hands on,they are not all the same.Put money on the best quality line that you want to use.Setting up your reel for L or R is a personal thing,but you should use the hand that you can reel the fastest with.Get started and I'll see you on hte flats.
              Skiffstiff

Comment

If you havent bought a combo yet, I can hook you up with an 8wt rod free if you need one.

I have several, that are great starter rods that i do not use.

Might even have a few reels that would make good starter ones that you can try before you buy upscale products.

Capt Thomas
                Capt. Thomas Barlow
                281-827-6815
                www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

I would suggest you stick with an 8wt - great all round set up for reds and trout. Great for bonefish too if you get the chance and as others have said that bit easier to punch into a wind than say a 7wt. I totally agree with Skiffstiff - try as many rods as you can. What works for you may not work for someone else - generally I would say you get what you pay for BUT there are some really good low -mid priced rods out there. I would suggest the guys at Ifly Houston - Patrick or Jarid will help you out and you can try before you buy. My main piece of advice in terms of lines would be not to buy cheap lines - they are more trouble than they are worth. The Scientific Anglers Mastery textured series are good lines that I'd recommend. I'd also recommend getting a 2-tone line with a reasonably heavy weight forward profile - this will help your casting when you start out as it will load the rod quickly and the 2-tone allows you to see where the head starts. Again a good fly shop can advise as to potential options and price. For the flats and inshore a good floating line will be all you need for now. Hope this helps. Fell free to PM if you have any questions.

Comment

Bruce, 8 weight is the best all around that you can get for saltwater, it will travel well if you ever go to fish for bones and you could take it to a lake or pond and do just fine casting big flies for bass.

Don't short change yourself on rod or line! If you buy a cheap set up and like fly fishing, then you will be spending the money later, and have a cheap set up that you can't recoup money on. If you buy a good rod, from a reputable manufacturer, you can always sell it and recoup some of your expense if you don't like it or want to continue fly fishing.

I'm very happy with the SA Mastery Saltwater Textured lines that I purchased this year. Lots of other good ones around, but based my decision on "cast ability" and the core material. This line will perform well across the spectrum of our weather here in Texas.

Feel free to ask me additional questions, I have a pretty good feel for what's out there in the market.
                    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
                    X