Highlands Bayou -- 02/22/13 - 02/24/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlands Bayou -- 02/22/13 - 02/24/13

Went fishing in Highlands Bayou on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The projected outgoing tide in the mornings and the strong northeast winds made for some really good water movement all three days.

Sheepshead were plentiful along the edges of the boat channel and around the railroad bridge. The areas with scattered shell and strong current held a large concentration of sheepshead. They were hitting both live and fresh dead shrimp on a jighead. Their bite was subtle and I missed a bunch of them. They were not holding onto the bait for very long either.

The flounder were stacked up tight to the shoreline where current was minimal. Had to contend with lots of shell in 1'-3' of water but that's where the fish were. However, my two biggest flounder over the weekend were caught literally in the boat channel leading out to Jones Lake. Water depth was no more than 5 feet. All of the flounder were caught on Gulp mantis shrimp in white and chartreuse and Gulp pogys in pearl white. I wasn't too impressed with the durability of the mantis shrimp. One bite pretty much ruined the lure. For Gulp lures, pogys are still my favorite.

Ended up with 9 sheepshead (all released) and 30 flounder (kept my limit each day) up to 20".

Click image for larger version

Name:	limit of flounder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	573426Click image for larger version

Name:	P2240012.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	573427Click image for larger version

Name:	limit of flounder.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB