SLP acess for giging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP acess for giging

How's the acess for west end/slp area I'm just curious cause flounder season is gonna heat up soon

Crappieman care to comment? Have you made it down to SLP? Mike? Coach?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have been to the county park via boat. It was a ghost town. The ramp seems ok, but 2 weeks ago nobody was coming by car. I don't know when the blue water highway will be drivable. I've heard that you can get there from the Galveston side, but you gotta get past checkpoints just to get down to the west end in the first place. If any of you west enders have a chance, I'd sure appreciate finding out if you can get to the county park and also if you can launch there.

As for me, I'll be heading out to SLP Sunday via Bastrop Marina. It's a long haul.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I though the same thing....Marlin's is where we put in when I was a kid and I will probably launch there again soon. That is a long haul. Probably twelve miles if the truth is known. I will reset my trip log on my gps next time and check it.

Comment

Its not too bad a haul from Chocolate Bayou/2004 Ramp, probably the same total travel time(truck and boat travel time) for Coachlaw coming from Angleton so he might as well put in at Bastrop, but if you are more toward Houston, it isnt too bad a trip, ive done it more than a few times.
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Majek, you think you can link us a map of where you put in at? Or perhaps have a google map link? I'd like to see the aerial of where you can put in and then access the North side if I'm coming from Houston chasing ducks this winter...

Comment

west end

As far as I have been is my house.

Comment

When we were out there today, we pulled into the dock at the county park. There was a truck with a trailer there, so you can get there via Galveston.

The place is a real mess. We saw lots of useful debris, but I was afraid if I commandeered any of it, it might be illegal, even though it's going in the garbage sooner or later.

The ride from Marlin Marina today took us 1 hour to reach the pass, but only 45 minutes to get back due to the wind direction. - Sandy
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Unclehandy was out at SLP couple days ago at high tide and said there were no dunes, sugar sand etc... The once drivable beach on the North side is now water up to the grassline he said... Not sure how it looks at low tide...

Comment

Not sure what exactly you are looking for, it is a public boat ramp underneath the FM 2004 overpass of Chocolate Bayou. Then you just run straight down Chocolate to west bay, cross the bay and there you are at SLP, Cold Pass vicinity. Once you get to the bay, you can see the SLP bridge as a reference point, but it is pretty straight forward.

Here is a link to Brazoria COunty Boat Ramps with a small map.
                    http://www.brazoria-county.com/parks/locations.asp

Here is a google maps loaction, basically right under FM 2004.
                    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.076904&z=14

The ramp isnt really that close to Houston, just more that way. It is south of Alvin, maybe 25 minutes. Depending on where you would be coming from, it might very well be out of the way. Hope this helps.

Matt
                    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I run also out of the 2004 Bridge alot. Easy easy run into West Bay. I can get to the pass from 2004 in 15 minutes. The Chocolate Channel is usually well marked and a fairly easy run in the dark aswell. Just be careful not to get out of the channel in the dark until you know your way around. Some very shallow spoil reefs lurk off to the edges of the channel. Some very good fishing along these spoil reefs aswell.

AQUA PIMP
                      AQUA PIMP......
                      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Sorry!!!

So, I accidently deleted where we started getting off topic... something happend in the moving post progress and now the new thread I created with our posts is gone... My appologies!

Comment

Its OK, it was getting pretty hijacked anyways. Sorry to get off topic Savage.
                          Last edited by WestEndAngler; October 7, 2008, 09:05 PM. Reason: Yah it was getting hijacked, I tried moving our posts and it failed lol... I didn't edit your post btw just added this message...

Semper Fi!

Comment

It's ok im sure i won't risk the time or the gas to find out unless i get several reports otherwise. I'll just try tiki island or maybe mccullum park or somewhere new

Comment

SLP ramp is useable! Launched there today to run lumber out to the camp. Just gotta be careful of the debris. Sure was nice to have a 5 minute boat ride rather than a 1.5 hour ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X