468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9/24 San Luis, Titlum Tatlum and points east......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/24 San Luis, Titlum Tatlum and points east......

Well one of our newest members, Nwilkins and his son, twisted my arm and had me call in sick this morning. I felt the fever coming on Friday afternoon when I read the PM he sent, and by this morning the Fish Flu was upon me, so I made the call. Besides, what kind of guy would I be if I didn't show the new guy around abit in our stomping grounds....

Met up with them at Horseshoe Bend on Chocolate Bayou and we were soon on our way to SLP. BTW that Baycat is a nice ride..... We made it to the pass just as it was getting good and light and decided to wade the gut next to MudIsland. The water looked really good and the tide was moving in pretty good, but we knew the tide would soon go slack. The winds were light and out of the SSW and very fishable. We were watching a storm off to the east of us but it looked to be moving south. So the three of us climbed into the water.

Tt wasn't long tell Nwilkins had a nice trout blow up on his top water and it looked like a good start to the day. A few blow ups and misses and I hooked up with a solid fish, but she was soon off and there started my trend for the day. We switched to plastics and the tops just weren't doing it any more. I lost a flounder and Nwilkins landed a flounder a little too short. We had a few more hits and I foul hooked a ladyfish. Then there was nothing, so we decided to look for greener pastures. They wanted to see if we could get into some reds so up Titlum Tatlum we headed.

As we rounded the corner before the camp, I saw the Sandy's boat was there so we pulled in for a quick visit. The generator was running and I peaked inside but could tell no one was awake yet, so I headed back to the boat and on up the bayou we headed. We went up to the mouth of Bastrop and saw some reds working, but was only able to get one of them to hit. He hammered my Corky Devil, but was about an inch short of being legal. Note, never try to wade fish the mouth of Titlum Tatlum at Bastrop........

The tide had turned so we did too and head back down towards the camp. We stopped once more and I feel bad, as I woke up Tom. I'd forgot that today was the first day of school, so there was no way Sandy would be there. It was good meeting Tom though, next time I'll have a beer in hand for him. We visited for a little while and decided to go back where we had started the morning. Nwilkins put a really nice flounder on the stringer and I tried to do the same, but mine decided she didn't want to have anything to do with the stringer. She shook free of my grip, flopped down and somehow got my line in her mouth. She quickly proceeded to bite my braid in two and leave. Like I said that would be the story of my day…..

The storm we had watched to the east had moved south, but now it had turned and looked to heading toward us. We mounted the boat and were soon heading north. Luckily for us it only cut across the pass and we only got a little rain from it. Nwilkins turned the boat back south and we decided to give the guy on the back side of BirdIsland a try. Nothing there, but one huge ladyfish that gave Nwilkins a really nice jump and some stripped drag, but was good. So we went back to the Mud Island gut as we had those two flounder just before the storm run us off, so we hoped there might be a couple more there, but it was a no in that department.

We mounted the boat once more this time pointing her east, for one last try. We decide on hitting the Geotubes next to Sea Isle and soon we were once more in the water wading. However, just like the other places there was a ton of bait, but no takers in our offerings. And so we headed back towards Chocolate Bayou. Once we up the bayou a good ways we stopped for some drift fishing. The wind was really blowing by then, but two nice sandies hit the ice and there should have been more if we could have got them in the boat. Nwilkins’ son boated a feisty hard pulling red but it was just a bit short.

That pretty much is the story of our day. We caught a few, we missed a few and we lost a few, but there are a whole bunch of them still out there for the rest of you guys.

Nwilkins, thanks for a great trip, I had a blast meeting and fishin with y’all. Wish I could have been a better guide. Lets just say we will get them next time…. Also fill in anything that I forgot or left out....
    Last edited by bountyhunter; August 24, 2009, 08:11 PM.
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Nice report Derek, glad you could spend the day chasing 'em. Sounds like everyone got some pulls and had a good time

Comment

Nice report, after getting the fish and boat cleaned, just sat down and had fresh trout and flounder for supper. We really enjoyed your company today Derek, thanks for showing us around, now I truly feel like a West End Angler!!!!!!

BTW---The ride was on a Tran Sport Baby Cat, We'll try em again soon, Thanks again
      Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
        Nice report Derek, glad you could spend the day chasing 'em. Sounds like everyone got some pulls and had a good time
        That is what it is all about, a few good pulls. Did wish I had one of my yaks a couple times today to give chase to some of the reds we saw. You and I got to do Titlum Tatlum or Sweetwater one of these days in the yaks and chase reds....

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
        BTW---The ride was on a Tran Sport Baby Cat, We'll try em again soon, Thanks again
        Neil
        You are right and that is what I thought I typed.........I missed the second B in baby.......Sorry. I wasn't sure if it was one or two words, now I know. It is a very nice ride and thanks again for the trip. I do feel bad as some of that mud in the boat was mine, hope washing it down didn't take too long. Glad you enjoyed the fresh fish, how did y'all cook them?
        Last edited by bountyhunter; August 24, 2009, 10:26 PM.
        Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

nice report.congrats on the catch
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice report BH.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice job ya'll thanks for the report.

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......
              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

yall passed em up!
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                  yall passed em up!
                  That's possible, it was hard to decide yesterday as all the water and bait looked the same everywhere.

Where were they at?

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                    yall passed em up!

IT was my guide (bountyhunter's) fault ------Ha

Comment

good report boubty.
                      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Cool story Derek.

Comment

It was nice meeting you guys, next time the beer's on me!!

Comment

Originally posted by TMO View Post
                            It was nice meeting you guys, next time the beer's on me!!
                            Yes a face to face is always good, we will give you a little more warning next time.

Comment

Man you fish in the future, I want to fish with you. j/k Nice report.

Comment

Working...
                              X