Karankawa Sat Evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karankawa Sat Evening

Went out with Lara and Capt Hardhead in his boat on Saturday. Saturday morning was very slow and I wound up with one spec going maybe 17" but that was about it. The weather was nearly perfect, saw plenty of bait, just couldn't find the fish. We went back in, ate, ran some errands, and were back on the water by five thirty. Had planned on running to the jetties but the wind picked up so we headed over to the back of Greens. We were throwing shrimp and managed only trash fish and a couple foot long reds. We decided to move out of there and try the main entrance to Karankawa and found the same results. Next was the barge canal side of Karankawa, nothing again but dinks.

Tide was moving nicely so with about an hour of light left we entered the lake. Went to a favorite spot of ours and put down the power pole. Didn't take long before Mark hooked up and battled a nice red. I then hooked a real nice drum. Being they fight like their cousins I was certain he was red but black taste nearly as good right? Lara was standing in the back of the boat and so I asked her to come up front with her new rod. Mark and I went to Academy earlier and I bought her one of the ladies pink Ugly Sticks (she wanted pink) and a Zebco push button reel. I gave that thing a toss out where I thought the action would be and handed her the rod. I turned around to grab mine and that's when I heard that little reel singing! Lara was on her first good red. I checked her drag to make sure it wasn't too loose and all was good. She got a live lesson on how to fight a fish and she did great. After many runs over the course of five minutes with that little rod and reel and she got it to the boat. Measured 25". We then realized we didn't have a camera (always forget something) and so Mark began to explore his camera phone and cuss while I caught another fish.

Light ran out and we needed to head back but we took home a limit of reds, a nice drum, and the one spec form the morning. Most important and fun was watching Lara work that fish like a champ and the smile on her face when she got to hold her. Will post the pics we took back at the house when Mark gets off his lazy butt and sends 'em to me!
    sigpic

Congrats! Way to put the lady on a nice fish!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice report Brad. Ya gotta show me how to get into those spots sometime.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

nice job.congrats
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

vry nice! I haven't been back in Karankawa in a while.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Awesome! I wouldn't have thought to fish those shallow lakes on a hot afternoon, but I guess it payed off.

Comment

here s the pic of Lara's red
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X