Bull Red Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull Red Questions

So all of the reports I have read have been saying that the bulls are running. I was wondering if some of the bait shops were open down in the Galvestion area, and if so which ones are the best to go to. Do you know if any have live table sized crabs? Some tips on where to go (on the beach, jetti) would also be helpful if someone is willing to give up a good spot

Originally posted by tooth kid View Post
    So all of the reports I have read have been saying that the bulls are running. I was wondering if some of the bait shops were open down in the Galvestion area, and if so which ones are the best to go to. Do you know if any have live table sized crabs? Some tips on where to go (on the beach, jetti) would also be helpful if someone is willing to give up a good spot
    I've never seen a table sized crab. Good luck finding bait......you'll be better off catching some yourself.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Go catch bait yourself or some fresh dead blue crab... I've had some much success with Big Drums using crab... You'll want to target the areas around the Jetties, they hold monster fish
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Shouldn't take too long dunking a couple crab traps in or soaking a chicken neck or two to get enough bait to last the trip.

Comment

For sure, thats what we did one year prior to our 1st Black Drum Tournament we host... Chicken Necks and some crab traps...

Comment

Man .. forget about Blue Crabs for Bull Reds... period.. MULLET is what you want son MULLET!

The bigger the better, bull reds love 'em!

A good spot would be in my Bote.. If I can ever get a weekend off!

Comment

I have always had the best luck with 3-4 inch mullet, hooked through the back. Just my 2 cents.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I plan on going this weekend! I'll post some pics!!!

Comment

Where you headed, beach or jetties?
                  "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

How do you rig them Tiny? No wonder I've never caught one ... You keep them live? If I'm surf fishing I'm usually throwing out a 6-8 OZ spider weight with a single hook and leader.... The weight slides a little on the leader to allow some play in the bait

What type of setup do you use? Do you ever target them in the surf or do you mainly go to the deeper water, channels and inlets?

Comment

This cold front is going to trigger the run of the bulls and flounder... Its going to be great fishing til the water turns to gin

Comment

Coe, I have always fished the surf for them with the same setup you are describing. Had good luck, but this was on the east coast in North Carolina. I would assume it would work well in the surf here as well. I have 2 big surf rods that I used waiting to get back in action for some monster bull reds or sharks.

Semper Fi!

Comment

Bailey & I usually take our Yaks and paddle out from his place in Jamaica and throw out Stingray and mullet and throw chum out for Sharks ... I've never caught a Bull Red...I'm planning to very shortly!

Comment

Never a bull red???

They are fun to catch. Live mullet will surely do the trick on them. Paddle out like you have, just use mullter instead. We usually cast from the beach, wade out about knee depp and throw it as far as possible. Thats how we did in NC at least.

I want to find a few good bull reds this year.

Semper Fi!

Comment

I will probably go to the jetti friday afternoon (dang school), and see what happens. Then on saturday my buddy got a guide (he paid) so there is no telling where we will go then. Hopefully lots of bulls in the near future for all of us!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X