Engine Problem!!! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Problem!!! Help!

So i pull the Kenner out the garage bout an hr ago getting ready for tomorrow's trip. Well... i hooked up the hose to run it real quick and it wont start!!! I turn the key and hear one "clank" not the clank clank clank like its trying to start. I check the battery and a fuse that looked like it was tied to the starter. All looks fine. Any ideas?

I ran it three weeks ago and it ran perfectly fine... its a 2000 Merc engine 90hp...

Also, anyone know a good boat shop in the Copperfield area? I dont feel like driving it up to Tracker on 45 north..

Try jumping it to eliminate the battery and then go from there.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Cooperfield area is hard to find a good mechanic, might want to see if Gander MTN. might help out.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by explorer21 View Post
        cooperfield area is hard to find a good mechanic, might want to see if gander mtn. Might help out.
        don't take it to gander mt!!!!!!!!!
        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

i'll try jumping it or another battery in the morning... the current one is still reading 12.6 volts though...

Yeah. i will pass on gander! Thanks though but i tried before and their prices are kinda high! They tried to charge me $150 for a compression test when i first got my boat.. went up north and got it done for free..

The mechanic i go to is just sooo far away..

Comment

Clean your contacts on your battery. Any corrosion can screw it up, especially if you don't have a good ground. Hit it with a wire brush if it looks bad
            XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Cleaning the battery cable connections to the battery is a good idea. I would put the charger on the battery overnight. The battery might well read 12.6 volts yet not be able to pull a load.

Hope you get it fixed, fishing is going to be really good tomorrow!
              Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

i noticed it would make the same sounds even when i pulled the kill switch leash off when i try cranking it.. i know it kills the engine but it shouldnt be making the same sound should it?

Comment

i think if anything imma drop it off and go to work tomm... its a sign from the big guy upstairs i need to get some stuff done in the office! =T

Comment

My engine will crank but not start if the kill switch is not on.

I'd try putting a battery charger ideally you'd want one that puts out good starting amps... Your battery may show a good charge but when you turn the key the volts could drop big time...
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Boy what a great idea! I think I will go to work tomorrow too, I still have some sheetrock to hang.........On the other hand, I think not, the fishing will be excellent tomorrow, maybe even better than today. I better have a beer to figure this out: Work or fish, work or fish........perhaps yet anothe beer......wonder if the work will still be there when I get back from fishing? Thought so, I guess I'll have the third fish call and hit the sack, fishing time comes early.

Comment

good luck
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Are you getting spark when your kill switch is in the kill position? A spark plug tester is worth a couple of bucks for any diagnositics.
                          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I took it to Tracker on i-45 north on Sat. and should be hearing back from them tomorrow. I'll post up what they find. After doing some research I think it is the solenoid. the solenoid would click once when the key was turned and 007 walked me though trying to hot start it but to no avail.. I'm assuming if you cant from the solenoid then it is bad. I should have tested it with a voltmeter before i took it in.

Comment

Next time you have boat motor problems try to fix them yourself. You will probably save some money. Think about this: How bad can you screw up something that already doesn't work.

Only one click? Try this: Remove the engine cover.... Spray some WD40 on the starter drive shaft (the shaft that has the little drive gear that turns the flywheel) then try again. If it starts, you have fixed it, if it doesn't, turn the little starter drive gear around the starter shaft until it engages the flywheel and try to start it. If it starts, you have a battery (power) problem, if it doesn't start at this point, I would start thinking about going to the shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X