Not Good.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Good.......

Well the property has not missed any rain, or at least in a while. It is all green and plenty of food for the deer, so getting them to come to the feeders will take some doing. Dang East TX deer are tough anyway but give them a good food supply and you will have to go to them. Maybe we will be lucky and there won't be many acorns this year.....
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Put out some "come here deer"
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
      Put out some "come here deer"
      They don't pay any attention to that either if there is natural food around. They are some tough critters to figure out........
      Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

You'll be bow hunting right?
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yep, can't wait for the opener. I haven't killed one on my place with a bow yet so I hope this year is the year. Had a couple of almosts in the past but was never able to get a shot off. It's tough with a gun, even tougher with a bow. This year with the antler restriction, it might be even tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by bountyhunter View Post
            Yep, can't wait for the opener. I haven't killed one on my place with a bow yet so I hope this year is the year. Had a couple of almosts in the past but was never able to get a shot off. It's tough with a gun, even tougher with a bow. This year with the antler restriction, it might be even tougher.
            where in east texas?
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
              where in east texas?
              Angelina County about 30 minutes SE of Lufkin. I'm about a 2 miles (as the crow flyes) to Lake Sam Rayburn.

Comment

Yes, when natural food is abundant, they dont come to corn quite as easily, but some will still come to it.

Lots and lots of scouting, walking deer trails, finding rubs, scrapes, watering hole, bedding areas and of course the main food source is key in your situation. Its a lot of work and all that walking has to be done very soon which sucks because it is so dang hot outside. But, that is what it will take.

Just remember, be the deer. Think like the deer. Pretend you are a deer. lol

Good luck.

Comment

Derek:

I'm just north of you-in Nacodoches on Lake Nac. Same sentiment from me-green toughens the hunt, but helps with quality. Watch out for that new rule-GW enforce it by the letter.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                    Watch out for that new rule-GW enforce it by the letter.
                    Yep, it is going to make it tough not being able to take out those bucks that shouldn't be in the gene pool. We have more than a few we see each year that need it and this year we have to let them walk. We also have a lot of basket rack 3 and 4 year olds running around, and I don't care how long you let them walk they are going to be basket racks. Though the new rule is good for those folks that can't judge the age of a deer. Maybe it will let some that would get bigger, get bigger. We had two good ones in our area last year and my neighbor got one of them, then the other one disappeared. Not sure if it was killed or found a good place to hide, I'm hoping the second.

My property backs up to over 3k acres of the National Forest which also has pros and cons. When it's green like this year it is a big con, but on the tough years it is big pro as my feeders are the only game in town. Hey it is all fun, the hunt is the best part, getting a deer is only the cherry on top. We will see what happens in a few weeks to a month. A couple of years ago it was like this in August and early Sept. but then turned and by mid November they were all over the feeders. Either way I'll be in the woods and like 45ACP said there is a lot of time for scouting between now and then. I'll be back up there this weekend.....

Comment

Just more gov regulations and interference and I really dont believe they know. Awhile back, our place was over run w/ basket racks and spikes. We went on a program for about 3 years and eradicated a very large number of inferior deer from 60 + years of in breeding. It was almost an over night difference in quality. Now, when it comes to this time of year; you see sometime 6-8 good ol boys hanging together w/ quality racks

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                        Just more gov regulations and interference and I really dont believe they know. Awhile back, our place was over run w/ basket racks and spikes. We went on a program for about 3 years and eradicated a very large number of inferior deer from 60 + years of in breeding. It was almost an over night difference in quality. Now, when it comes to this time of year; you see sometime 6-8 good ol boys hanging together w/ quality racks
                        That is always what I thought. I mean when I was on the farm we would cut the bulls that weren't up to snuff and they became steers. As for deer, if they are up to snuff then cut them and they become steaks and burger, the same as cows. Big boys make more big boys, basket racks make more basket racks, it don't take know rocket scientist to figure that one out. The problem with huntin in Texas is money, the regs always follow the money!

Comment

Working...
                        X