Living on the Edge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living on the Edge...

So I've read in a few different places and also heard from people who have done this...

They say you have to find areas where there is a shell reef, find the edge where the mud starts and work your hands around and start feeling for no other than Stone Crabs... I was shocked to watch this video where this guy is noodling for Stone Crab and harvesting a good number of claws at that! Anyone done this in West Bay?

here's the video...

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Campbells Bayou area along the bank...about 12 years ago. Used the butt of an ugly stick to break the hole open then got the claw. Ended up with quite a few.

Sorry but I can't access youtube here at work, so no comment on the noodling for them.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I know the feeling of no youtube @ work...

Comment

1 year old post... I'm bumping this b/c this video is BAD *****!!!

Comment

Pretty neat.......... My luck i would grab a blue crab.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Nope. Pretty interesting though. I think I would wear those metal mesh gloves for gripping and cleaning fish to protect my hands from cuts and claws. Would not be a happy thing to get a Vibrio infection digging around in mud with a cut finger.
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Confederate Reef has a lot of dens up in the shell, especially in the fall. We have played around with dropping our lines with gulp in them. they get cut up pretty good.

Comment

I recall years ago I was walking along the base of the north jetty (on Bolivar) there were 2 men in the water (gulf side) feeling around the rocks. I thought they had lost something. They had a young man with them who was floating and holding an ice chest. I watched them as one of the guys came up with a blue crab - the young man with the ice chest opened the lid and in it went. He shook his had and went back for more. I watched as this continued and thought they really want them crabs. This was before I had ever heard of noodleing or hand fishing.

Comment

I need my digits for counting , no way could I afford to lose one for a crab !
                  "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Texfish View Post
                    I need my digits for counting , no way could I afford to lose one for a crab !
                    So you can keep track of each limit of them trouts you been catching,
                    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Working...
                    X