Bayou near Jones Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayou near Jones Lake

Fished Sunday after a late start . Never fished Jones Lake, but my friend has kayaked back up in the marsh west of Jones Lake. Launched my kayak at the baitcamp at HWY 6 about 10:30 AM. Lots of holiday boating traffic as I made my way towards Jones. Incoming tide all day, just getting started at this time. Fished the first marsh to the right before the railroad bridge bumping a 4" GULP off the bottom for flounder for about an hour with no results. Water was off color. Paddled all the way down Jones and took a right to Harborwalk and the diversionary canal next to it. Saw it on Google Earth and looked like a good bayou. Long paddle for a 60 year old this month, but made it in fine form ready to fish. I was dismayed as I finally reached the diversionary canal to see 2 seados with knuckle - head teenagers blasting in and out of the canal full throttle. I hate seados. I was afraid of being run down . As I entered the canal, the 2 dos saw me and slowed down and I asked them to please not run over me. They were very polite, but still thought there won't be a fish in the canal with all the racket. Came too far to quit now. I could check out new grounds. Very nice bayou with lots of bends. Each bend had a deep section, some about 3-4 feet, others 5 plus feet using my Cajun depth finder rod. Water off color and still bumping bottom with GULP. Worked the grass line and middle as I worked up the bayou periodically awash in seado waves even though they did slow down a tad. But in a canal you are still going to have waves. They finally let up mid -afternoon thankfully. Had one fisherman pass respectfully slow in a 17 foot skiff . He headed purposefully up the bayou. Did not see him return. Wish I knew where he was going. Looked like he knew what he was doing and had a place in mind. Hooked a throw back flounder at the first deep bend and stayed put. Soon landed a 18 " founder. Before long landed a 19 1/2 " red. Hooked deep and bleeding. Knew he wasn't going to make it and I tried for a while measuring with my rod repeatedly to make it a 20 incher. Finally released it and it went belly up. Man I hate doing that. What a waste. Thought of keeping it , but just my luck the game warden would be waiting for me at the dock. Had repeated hang ups on the front side of the bend and lost several jigheads. Drug up hooked shell several times. Good thing for structure, bad thing for fishing on the bottom. Moved to the back side of the bend and found mud bottom. Had fish there. Landed 2 20 " reds in short order , a 15 " trout , and 2 hardheads. Missed some mystery fish. Moved around to both banks when things slowed and went up the bayou stopping at each bend. Released a too small red lip hooked and a croaker. Missed some more fish. Sun was 4 fingers over the horizen and thought I better get my butt headed back. Reached the mouth of the bayou and green water was flooding in. Had to make a cast and immediately landed a 18 " red and released it in fine shape. Anchored for awhile casting anxious glances at the rapidly sinking sun. Could see and hear flounder popping the surface at the grass and swirling activity. Wish I could have stayed. Lots of green water and boats on the west bank of Jones on the way back. Did not have my yak light with me and didn't want to be a dark spot on the water at night. Finally made it back to the truck at dark with a new hand blister. What a great time and beautiful day and sunset. Would go today but I would be worn out and worthless at my practice tuesday- I'm a dentist and falling asleep in a patient's lap is not an option.
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

That's a great report. You may not have caught a stringer full, but you kept after 'em! Thanks for sharing.
    Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Good job staying after them, thanks for the nice report.

BTW, not a seadoo fan either. One came screaming by us on Saturday and there was a mile of water all around us, so WHY do they have to come so close. Lucky I was anchored and catching fish, because I would have caught him within a few minutes
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Hard to chase a seadoo in a kayak in my case. Did think of slinging a super spook at them, but could result in a lawsuit for doing facial art piercing of a minor without parental consent. But , I do think a full super spook in the clown colors could be all the rage at school on tuesday.
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great report....I still fish that area some and there are some good fish back in the marsh there.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report, congrats

Comment

Great Catch!!

Determination will get you everywhere!! The canal has a lot of great spots and a lot of places to hide from bad weather or wind. Nice job!!
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks fellers. Just doing what I love to do. Looking at Google Earth, just after crossing the bridge over the diversionary canal , there is a road track heading towards the bay that is about 1/2 mile long. Figure if one can access that track that it would cut about a mile off my former distance in the kayak. Or you may query, " why not just take your boat !? "

Comment

Nice report, thanks for sharing.

Comment

YOu can also drop the yak in at the bridge there and head right back into the marsh.
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Very good report.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Great report! I don't care for the water roaches (jet skiiers) but Jones in the early fall till the end of the year will produces some nice numbers of fish. Keep at it.

The great thing is that you did not get carried off by mosquitos, 4 fingers from sundown means you got about30-45 min. till dark. Louis is a safe haven and offers some good food and drinks!

Comment

Working...
                        X