Beekeeping on the West End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beekeeping on the West End

As a follow-up to the Dang Bees thread...

I visited my apiary to check on the brood hives and took a couple pictures to share:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	574189
    This one shows a few eggs (in the bottom of the cells, center-right) that the queen just recently laid. You can see the queen trying to run and hide on the lower right portion of the picture. She has the queen breeder's mark on her.

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	574190
    This one shows various stages of worker bee brood. The curled up white larvae (solid white cells) are older (maybe a week) and are about to be capped. You can also see the recently capped worker cells (the larvae will morph into worker bees inside the sealed cells, and eat their way out when ready).

Others cells have larvae in various stages of growth. The worker bees are feeding them with nectar almost constantly.

Away off to the right and at the edge of the frame are a couple orange cells, these are packets of pollen (protein) socked away for later consumption. There's no honey yet on these brood frames, that'll come in the summer and honey production should spill over to another hive box that I'll add, for the newborn worker bees to fill.

None of the girls (all workers are girls) got upset at me for taking pictures, so no stings this visit.

At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Cool stuff!
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

that's incredible...never knew anything at all about beekeeping other than you could get stung. Thanks for posting this
      sigpic

Comment

That's great. I always wanted to know more about it.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Beekeeping on the West End

Make me hungry for honey!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Does the weather affect the bee production? i.e. It has been relatively cool this year, so the bees haven't been as active.
            What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Originally posted by WadinMoron View Post
              Fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Does the weather affect the bee production? i.e. It has been relatively cool this year, so the bees haven't been as active.
              Yes, it affects production greatly. Temperature is like a bee throttle. Also, rainfall affects the blooms, which are the main food. The lack of water due to the drought of previous seasons hurt/killed a bunch of colonies across the state.
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

that's way cool

Comment

NOt too bad, the brew looks good. !!! They dont seem to be capped tho, still early in the spring.
                  FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

We should have a group for bee keepers ! FishWestEndBeeKeepers !!
                    FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Attached are a couple close-up photos I took this afternoon. The first shows an older forager (see the tattered wings) entering the hive with pollen packets. The second is another, with more than a full load.

Name:	old forager w pollen.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	559681Click image for larger version

Name:	younger forager w pollen.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	559682

Comment

Working...
                      X