Drum Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Bay

Left the house after finishing up my work for the day around 5:20 with my destination being a spot in Drum Bay that I've had some success in the Spring in days gone by. My goal was to catch supper, as my wife is out of town and I really was hankering for some redfish on the half shell. I took my old pre-Shakespear All Star Titanium 6-1/2 light armed with an old green Calcutta 100 strung with 12# line. At the business end I tied on a trusty 1/4 oz. gold spoon. Since the mud wasn't too bad, I was able to drive all the way to the water and stepped in right at 6. I fished damned hard for about an hour and with the wind at my back and being able to make some very long casts was able to cover a lot of water. After close to an hour all I had to show for my efforts was one rat red and a couple of missed flounder hits. I begrudgingly decided to clip off the spoon and tie on my second "go to lure" being a plumtruese Saltwater Assasin on a 1/8 oz. jighead. On my third cast, WHAM! It was heavy and no doubt supper was close at hand. At first I figured a nice red it must be, but when the fish began to swim in a big arc and I felt the thump, thuimp, thump of an underwater headshake, I knew otherwise. The big girl swam two complete circles around me and I kept my drag pretty light so as to be sure to wear her out. Point is, I knew I had a nice speck and I wanted to savor the fight, before landing my supper. She finally came to hand and since she had inhaled my bait, I clipped the line, strung her and headed back to the truck. She fought better than the 25-1/2 inches she measured out out. I was back in my truck heading home by 7:15. A little over 2 hours ago she was swimming the grey, but very fishable waters of Drum Bay, but in less than 30 minutes some of her will be swimming in butter.

I took a picture, but don't have a clue how to attach it here.

Great report. I would've thought spoon was the way to go today as well. Glad dinner turned out so well for you,
    What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Drum Bay

Good report man. Install the tapatalk app.
      Karma's a beach.

Comment

Congrats. Great report and a good story
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Sweet, good report.
          "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Great story!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Drum Bay

Excellent read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice report.Good thing you could drive to the water.That was a long walk a few years ago when you took me there.Congrats on the catch
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

WTG!
                  the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X