Boat input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat input

Hey guys, I am thinking of selling my old Robalo because I do not get to take it offshore that often and find myself wishing I could get around in greens lake and karank lake etc. I have been looking around the internet for input but figured you guys would be the best place to ask.

What kind of flats boat do you recommend? requirements: needs to be stable for open bay fishing and SLP but skinny enough to move around the lakes and shoals. Those are really my two biggest needs.

Have you heard of Flats Master boats http://www.flatsmasterboats.com/ ?

I want to keep it for fishing, not put putting around channels with family so I don't need a lot of seating.

How necessary are casting platforms?

sfef84, I have a 20' Shallow Sport and can get anywhere I need to go. It is also does good in the open bay. I had a casting platform on the front of mine, but took it off. Seems like it got in the way more then anything else. I also have a poling platform on the back, and I use it a lot in skinny water to look for fish. I have not owned any other skinny water boats so I can not speak for them. Hope This helps a little

James
    Why put off doing something today, when you can do it again tomorrow. LIKE FISHING!!

Comment

There are many great boats on the market, Tran Sport was my choice.
      Pics of my Baby Cat, Donnie will take you out on a test ride, it sold me.

I wanted a boat to go skinny, runs in about 4 inches, gets up in a little over a foot, fairly dry and won't beat you up on chop, fuel efficient, fits in my garage.
      Attached Files

Comment

Shoalwater makes some great boats, copied by others (which are good also). If you want a shallow water boat check the web site for "Flats Cat" boats. Sounds like you need some kind of tunnel hulled boat.

We could turn this into a 200+ post thread about which boat runs the skinniest and "gets up" in the shallowest water over sand or over mud. (Everyone knows it is a Shoalwater 18' Tunnel Flatbottom.)
        Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jampilot View Post
          sfef84, I have a 20' Shallow Sport and can get anywhere I need to go. It is also does good in the open bay. I had a casting platform on the front of mine, but took it off. Seems like it got in the way more then anything else. I also have a poling platform on the back, and I use it a lot in skinny water to look for fish. I have not owned any other skinny water boats so I can not speak for them. Hope This helps a little

James

Same here, but I have the 18' with pole platform.
          Shoalwater is a good boat, just don't buy from GanderMountain. For what ever reason, every boat I've heard bought from there has problems.
          Tran makes a great boat and I'm sold on their detail work and the ride...they rig it very nice and clean.
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Keep the Robalo and get a Flats cat-dry, darn good boat, takes chop. Baby Cats -My neighbor's bro has one-they don't use it when choppy due to ride if they want to cross bay-bumpy and wet-but you will get where ya want to go and is great flats boat. Ask Kenny here about his Flats cat. I wish I had one. Explorer TV is also a good boat. Tran makes other great models as well-check his whole line out, but I would think a baby TranCat is just too small and will beat and soak ya when choppy-heck almost any boat will if rough enough. Shoalcats are very nice also. There are a lot of excellent options out there-just depends on whether ya want to pay $30k or 50K+. What ever ya want, make darn sure you test run it in all the conditions you expect, then compare each you tried and get the one that you feel does best for your needs. Make sure you let us know what ya get and post pics (so we can potlick ya!!). Don't be in a hurry either to buy and ask around as to the dealer and his rep-like FoF said-Gander Mtn hasn't shown much good PR as a boat seller.

BTW, what is your Robalo? (size, year and power)
            Last edited by Robalo; September 17, 2009, 08:25 AM.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. How easy on gas are these things?

Robalo-

I have a 1977 23' Cuddy. Its old, but everyone asks me "what year is that, early 90s?" its a solid old boat, I have a 225 Johnson VRO that gets me about 2mpg.. not bad.

Comment

I get about 4mpg in my 18' Shoalwater Flats with a 90 hp yammie.
                I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Cool Sfef84:

Mines a 23' CC 1987 with twins-just got a new transom put on (thank you Mike and Susan Gilley at Gulf Coast Boats-heck of a job) and had Fred at Redwing (pretty sure he rigged the boat when sold in 1987-heck, he prolly rigged yours and remembers it) put a new gas tank and lines in, so although 22 years old, I'd take it over the new models anyday-it's a tank-like yours. I get about 1-1.5 mpg, so have prolly a 175 total range, but farthest I've been out with it was about 50 miles-that's far enough for me in a 23' boat!! Mine does pretty well in the bay also-need 2.7' on depthfinder to hole shoot, heck I take it into Chocolate and even Halls and behind Bird-not too far or shallow though-runs at 2.2' on finder without churning-also got a bay boat (skeeter baypro 20' w/150 Yam)-Robalo doesn't fit my boathouse-T-Top is in way so not using it much as it stays in drive.

Good luck with your looking. Those Mosca's are darn nice boats as far as shallow rigs also-you ought to check those out too-I think they be about $50k for a nicely rigged out model at 22'-24'-my brother's neighbor has one at Sea Isle-darn nice rig. There are a lot of choices out there-have fun looking and let us know what ya get - as I said above (so we can potlick ya!!).
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

i'm a fan of the maverick, hewes, pathfinder, and cobia family of boats myself.

i don't have one, but i like em.

my boat is a 18' fishmaster bay boat. this style of boat actually does pretty well in the bays. on plane, i need a foot of water or less. but to get moving from a stop i need a little more than a foot. but in the chop, i think this kind of boat would handle better than the scooters.

don't get me wrong, i like the scooters for all those shallow flats, but for me the traditional boat hulls are better all around.

my opinion.

Comment

I have an 18' southshore that runs in less than 4" of water. 90 Etec gets about 4 to 5 mpg on it. Southshore will make one to your specifications.
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Good luck, there are many fine boats out there. I posed the same question recently about what fishing camera do you like . Everyone has a different one and loves it. I looked at Southshore, Transport, Shallowsport, and finally bought a 21 foot Explorer , tunnel, raised consol, etc. Floats in spit, great hole shot. Runs skinny and can fish deep but pitches more than a vee hull , of course. There's no one perfect boat. It's give and take. Decide what fishing applications you do most and go from there. You don't see many Explorers up here ,they sell a lot of them down south where the water is skinny , right Explorer 21 ? I don't think you can go wrong on any I mentioned. It's what feels right for you.
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

To those of you with the skinny boats, do you guys normally only fish in the shallows? Maybe I need to tag along or get a guide to show me what this flats stuff is all about. Anyone have any input on "flatsmaster" boats? I saw one on craigslist for a good price but can't really find info about em.

Comment

I never heard of them-well I have heard the name before and checked their website-little boats and basically a scooter. Googled Flatsmaster boats. Appears Explorer Boats mfg them, but may just be a model version/number.

Saw this also:

2009 Explorer 1850 FM Flats Master Return to List
                            Make Another Selection

(click for larger picture)

2009 Explorer 1850 FM Flats Master

Price: $27,995
                            Color: Gray
                            Stock#: B1190

Check Insurance Rates For This Vehicle

Explorer Flats Boat

New 2009 Explorer 1850 FlatsMaster Center Console powered by 150HP four stroke Yamaha with fuel injection, includes Shallow Blaster, leaning post with rod holders and storage box, console riser and shelf, aluminum fuel tank, anti-feedback steering, livewell, front cooler, aluminum trailer and more!
                            Specifications
                            Insurance: Request A Quote
                            Shipping: Ship this Vehicle
                            Manufacturer: Explorer
                            ModelYear: 2009
                            Model: 1850 FM Flats Master
                            Vehicle Type: Flats Boats
                            Price: $27,995
                            Color: Gray
                            Stock#: B1190

Explorer Flats Boat

Comment

Heres the website I was talking about http://www.flatsmasterboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X