5/26 Sabine Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/26 Sabine Lake

Installed my new Minn Kota Riptide ST on Saturday and had to give it a run, so we headed to Sabine to avoid the crowds. Managed to load the gear and my wife and son by around 10:00 am and headed East.

My favorite bait stand in Anahuac was covered up and out of everything live, but a new tank of shrimp was on the way. Went back to the Jack-in-the-Box on IH10 and had incredibly bad food and service, which did kill off the time. Ran back to the bait stand as they were unloading and picked up some nice shrimp. This put us on the water more than a bit late, as most folks where loading as we were launching. Crowded, but nothing as compared to the GBC.

Winds were building, so I didn't bother with my usual trout spots off the ship channel and headed up the lake. We tried a number of cuts, sloughs and drains, but the tide was rising and high. Fish were scattered and when we found them it was mainly bait stealing hard heads, puppy drum and jumbo croakers. Found no takers for any of the artificial baits I tried when taking a break from the bait and re-bait drill.

After some practice with the lanyard remote, the new trolling motor and trusty Power Pole were stealthily putting us in prime locations on the water. Unfortunately the fish were not impressed. Moved up and down the lake trying to find fish and noticed the other boats searching too. No bird works in the main lake, so we stuck to the plan. It wasn't until around 6 pm that the tide switched and began a strong move out again. Just like a switch the fishing steadily improved and were biting strongest at dusk. Left them biting to head back for the ramp with some light remaining.

Ended up boxing 5 reds, 5 trout and one flounder. No big numbers or size as I've come to expect from Sabine, but we had fun and I got to test my new trolling motor. It works amazing and I can't wait to get back out on the water again.

Tight lines... Bill
    "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Good report. Where'd you launch from?

Comment

We launched on the Louisiana side of the Hwy 82 causeway bridge. Not a bad ramp, but no lights and always a ton of shore fisherman who do not understand the dock is for boat launching not fishing. Winds were playing hell with me tying off to the dock without destroying the boat or the new trolling motor. On the first go my son lost his grip and I had to back off and circle around. Little did I know one of the lines from said idiots had washed across and blocked the ramp. As I circled back the 60 pound braid caught my wife across the throat. Managed to shut down and cut it before and any damage was done other than a scare. I was furious, but the guy was apologetic and helped secure the boat while I backed the trailer. Could have been a very bad result.
      "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

Good report. Sorry you had to fight the idiots.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
        X