What Kind of Rig You Throwin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Rig You Throwin?

Just curious...what everyone likes to throw. I personally, like the 50mg with my laguna wader topwater special, but recently have gone back to my old loomis crankbait series rod equipped with a 50mg. All my rods are med/light with a fast tip and in varying lengths from 6' to 7'6".(Lagunas & Loomis)
    I used to spool with 30 or 40# powerpro, but recently started using 40# suffix and believe it to be much better. The PP seemed to fail alot at the swivel where I don't have this problem, or haven't yet with the suffix.

I'm looking at purchasing a CORE for my next reel...any thoughts on it? Also, interested in a split grip, but haven't decided on what model. I am partial to Lagunas, but not necessarily loyal. There are just too many choices out there!
    Last edited by FlatoutFishin; October 9, 2008, 04:52 AM.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

1974 Fiberglass no name rod.

Cheepie FX4000 Shimano reel with 40lb power pro.

Shad rig under a cork. Dead shrimp for reds, no bait for trout.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

10 year old Green Curado CU200, 10 year old Castaway 6' 6" Jerk 'n Twitch medium (freshwater rod, I used to bass fish a lot but I love it)

Also keep a Shimano Sahara on a FTU Bay Special 6' 6" rod, medium light as a back up, or for aguest, or if I want to throw a spin cast rig.

I spool them with 20# or 30# PowerPro or Sufix. I love the Suffix, but for some reason only on my Sahara, it causes tremendous backlashes. I just bought some PP to spool it up and see if it is any different.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Sorry, it is a FTU "Bay Runner" not special. Nice rods for 50 bucks, plus a lifetime warranty.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I like to use the smaller profile shimanos (curado100 and the MG). My favorite rod is a Laguna TW2 but I also like to use the FTU pro series rods. Im starting to really like braid. I've been using suffix and power pro in the 20/6 and really like it. I feel like the suffix flies off the reel better than the pp but I like em both.

Flatoutfishin-

I've never fished with the core (too much $$$) but they feel like excellent reels and have heard great things about them. My only problem besides the price is they feel a bit bulkier than the mg. The bigger gears and such is cool and all but I think that it's a little overkill if your just fishing for trout, reds and flounder IMO. As far as split grips go..I think they look a bit tacky, but hey it makes your rod a whole .005 oz lighter

Comment

I use a 250 Shimano bait caster and have an assortment of every stradic reel you could want from the 1000 series on up to the 8000 series... I use castaway rods and usually 12lb mono... I only use braided on my heavy duty rods even then I still throw on a top shot of 60+ yards of 60+ LB Mono
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Waterloo Rods for me. I use to fish with Lagunas up until 2 years ago, then I made the Waterloo swith. Have not regreted it once! I fish with the Scorpion MG's most but about a month ago I bought two of the new Curado's that just came out and let me tell you, they are pretty sweet reels. Reels are spooled with 10lb Berkley Big game.

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......
              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Aqua... I've been meaning to grab a couple of the new Curados... glad you speak highly of them...
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have one Core and two old green Curado 200s, paired with a trio of Shimano V-rods made with Loomis blanks. Lengths measure from 6'6" to 7". Definitely in love with my Core, but man, is it really worth all that dough??? I dunno...sure beats spending my "economic stimulus" money on somethin' else, I guess.

Seems like I'm runnin' much lighter line than you guys, with only 10 lb. Berkley Big Game on there and sometimes the 12 lb. version.

For my spinnin' outfits I have two Shimano Sahara 2500 reels that I have modded with the Spirex double paddle handles. The double paddle makes it a bit more comfortable for me and I kinda dig the look. They are paired with Shimano Sensilite rods rangin' from 6" all the way to 7'3". Either 8 lb. Stren Superthin or 10 lb. Berkley Big Game on them.

Comment

You will like them I promise

AQUA PIMP
                    AQUA PIMP......
                    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

djdiggydiggy-

Seems like I'm runnin' much lighter line than you guys, with only 10 lb. Berkley Big Game on there and sometimes the 12 lb. version.
                      I used to fish with 10-12 lb mono, then made the switch to braid so have been going heavier. I have a hard enough time finding fish to catch that I just want to get them to the boat rather than play them out!

I did notice with mono I was having a lot of abrasion issues causing break offs, but they seem to be less with braided line.

Semper Fi!

Comment

Definitely have noticed the abrasion issues, but I just can't get myself to get onto the braid. I do have to re-tie almost after every other fish, but I guess that comes with my choice.

Comment

It took a little bit to get used to the braid, and other than the fact that it messes up on 1 of my reels, I love it on all my others. Very sensitive so you feel everything. Also, you can't reel down and set the hook reel hard, you just basically raise your rad tip and start reeling since braid has no give, otherwise youll rip their haws out!

Semper Fi!

Comment

Depends on what species I'm targeting.

Trout:
                            rod:Laguna 6'6" Texas Wader
                            reel: Shimano 50Mg or 1000 Scorpion
                            Line: PowerPro 10lb braid, green

Reds:
                            rod:Falcon 7' heavy casting rod
                            reel: Shimano Calcutta 400
                            line: PowerPro 30lb braid, green

Flounder:
                            rod: All-Star 7' "Emerald Special"
                            reel: Shimao Calcutta 50 or 50Mg
                            line: PowerPro 10lb braid, green

Bull reds/Shark/jacks:
                            rod:7' All-Star offshore style boat rod
                            reel: Calcutta 700, Ambassduer 9000, Diawa Saltist 20 or 50.
                            line: PowerPro 50lb braid, green

Surf fishing:
                            rods: Harrington 10ft casting rods. have one spinning rod
                            reels: Penn Squidders, Jigmasters, Diawa Saltist 50, Van Staal 250
                            line: varies, some reels 30lb Stren mono, others 50lb PowerPro braid, green

Ultra light:
                            Rod: St Croix 6' ultralight spinning rod
                            reel: tiny Diawa spinning reel or pflueger spinning reel(freshwater only)
                            line: 4lb Berkley big game mono.
                            This rig is a blast on trout under lights.

kid/loaner rigs:
                            rods: 10$ junkers from Academy, misc garage sale rods
                            reels: Zebco 33's and 808's
                            line: Whatever I can scrounge. All I know is its mono. LMAO
                            West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Working...
                            X