Karankawa Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karankawa Lake

I like flounder fishing. Never been to Karankawa Lake and would like to check it out. On Google Earth it looks shallow as far I can tell. Can you putz along slowly or do you need to be on plane getting in and around ? Are there hazards to be aware of ? Is it a place not to be in on a low or falling tide ? Would you not recommend going it alone never having been before ? Can it be a place worth fishing ? Thanks !
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Plugger, I have asked the same thing and there are a few out there that will give you advise. I just have not been able to go out there yet, but it should be a good time. Have fun and be safe.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Everytime I've been back there we've been on plane. Also, there are reefs on the sides of the bayou that lead into the lake.

Comment

It is very interesting getting back there. You do not want to go on a low tide.
        Here is a previous post on the topic.
        Jones Lake, Greens Lake, Lost Lake, Cox Lake, Wolf Lake, Alligator Lake, Salt Lake, Oyster Lake & Karankawa Lake
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I fish that a lot. Depending on your boat and tides there are two ways in.

First would be through the cut on the old barge canal. This is the easiest way in I think. When you get in there, make sure no one is fishing the pass as often hat is the case. Then you need to give them room or try the other entry.

Yes, being on a plane helps here but again, depending on your boat... I have taken larger boats in on high tides so I know it can be done. Only thing when entering this way is you will see a large duck blind on the right hand side after you enter from the cut. It will be right next to the next cut you need to take. Make sure and stay a tad left as eyes open as there is some garbage that runs out fifteen to twenty yards in front of that blind. Once you are in the cut by the blind, the water depth drops to 8-10 feet. When exiting here stay towards the middle...

On the other side, it has a lot of curves and shell but again can be done once you learn it. Enter hugging the right hand shore line. Stay there and follow the current around. You will need to edge left around the next bank as it runs shallow. Also note, do NOT go to the opposite shore as a hump is out there mostly evident in he winter months when we have less water. Stay right UNTIL you approach the left turn along he shore. Now you need to hug he left shore line. There is shell all down the right side so stick it close. You do not need to worry about depth at all on this shore line. Hug it all the way out. When approaching the exit, I like to drift toward the middle of the gut but still left leaning.

Either way, as said, I have been in there many times as it is a favorite spot of mine. Both entrances allow entry.

Google Earth does a good job showing the deeper water. I would also putt through there if you are uncomfortable until you get the hang of it. Once that happens it is a ball tearing through there throttle down!

Good luck and enjoy the fishing...ps do pull a lot of flatties out of there...
          sigpic

Comment

We killed some ducks today near there....
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              We killed some ducks today near there....
              Elaborate!
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Thank you all for the helpfull information.
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                X