Cold Fronts and Ducks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Fronts and Ducks

So I've heard that cold fronts make for good hunting because migrating ducks from the North ride down with them and are new to the area, as well as looking for shelter from the stiff N. wind. I've also seen a front get the ducks flying one time.

All you seasoned waterfowlers out there, what's been ya'lls experience with hunting during fronts? Do you try to hunt before a front hits (I'd probably be fishing then), or do you wait for the next morning? Would you want to be out right as the front moves through?

Regardless, I'll be out there tomorrow morning to see what's flying

Also, any recommendations for a good waterproof camo hunting jacket?

Before the front hits or after... don't make no difference just not during can be dicey which way it may go with weather and conditions...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

All I know is every hunt brings new birds. And if you are hunting and a front hits mid-hunt...it will change things up usually

I.E. if it was real slow before the front hits, it will usually pick up a great deal as/after it hits, and vice versa

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
        So I've heard that cold fronts make for good hunting because migrating ducks from the North ride down with them and are new to the area, as well as looking for shelter from the stiff N. wind. I've also seen a front get the ducks flying one time.

All you seasoned waterfowlers out there, what's been ya'lls experience with hunting during fronts? Do you try to hunt before a front hits (I'd probably be fishing then), or do you wait for the next morning? Would you want to be out right as the front moves through?

Regardless, I'll be out there tomorrow morning to see what's flying

Also, any recommendations for a good waterproof camo hunting jacket?
        Any 4-in-1 will do. I got a 'Canvasback' 4-in-1 from bass pro and its ok but i'd prob go with a drake or something else next time. Its holding up ok but there are some parts where the seams are coming loose but I put it through hell

Comment

Yan I bought the drake gear... its the duck blind camo I have the insulated waterproof bibs and 4 in 1 jacket... Its a light shell for teal hunting but I can put in the inner portion and make it nice and thick in cold weather. I wear rubber boots to keep dry then throw on my waders if needed usually I can put out the mojos and decoys without getting out of the boat.

I think concealment of your face is #1... don't be coming on the boat without a hat!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the tips ya'll. Get out there if you can. The front has both the BW and GW thick and flying low looking for company on the water. I haven't even had to use the bug spray!

I will check those jackets out and get something before big duck.

I think concealment of your face is #1... don't be coming on the boat without a hat!
            I just war-paint myself up with some marsh mud All I need now is a lumberjack beard and I'll have that "Duck Commander" look all the way

Comment

Working...
            X