First attempt at marbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at marbling

Here are a few pics of my first attempt at marbling on a 7' Batson SP842 spinning rod I just completed. Pretty cool looking with lots of depth, but a bit lumpy. Not sure how you get it so level and smooth... perhaps a different build or speed of cure rate rod finish?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_221750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	574413Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_221814.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	574414Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_221322.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	574415
    "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

I don't build rods but it looks pretty darn fine to me . Good job !
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Looks good Billy

Comment

Looks really cool, I like that. Good work!
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks! It didn't turn out like I expected, but it looks pretty cool to me too. Initially I tried the technique of dragging out streaks from the dabs of color with a dental tool, but just didn't like it and covered it up.

Closest thing I found "googling" images for rod marbling was a tricked-out roller guide offshore rod. They used colors you would find in natural abalone under the guides and it was suh-wheat! I laid down a base of clear and ragged bands of white, before adding colors on top. Next time I'm going to go with the same technique, but adjust the colors to try to match abalone.
          "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

Very creative..
            "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Looks good! Those lumps might be where the pigment did not mix into the epoxy all of the way. I started mixing 10cc of each to make sure that I get enough to have a smooth mix. You can always add a topcoat, sand to level (lightly), and coat again.
              Last edited by Randy; July 11, 2013, 09:52 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

Hmmm... sanding sounds like work. I just noticed how yours and others seem to be glass smooth. The finish on my wraps can have some waves and bumps also. Don't think it is my newbie technique, so I may need to try another brand/type.

Thx

Comment

The lumps are just where pigment and finish did not blend. You can help eliminate that with a little heat or another coat over it. The longer you let the finish set up before adding colors the more defined your colors will be. Looks good and there are many techniques for marbling just find one you like and go with it. I have lots more images if you want some ideas. Be careful sanding it can cause some undesired effects.

Comment

This is not mine and don't remember who did this one, Maybe Jim T. or Sato. But this is marbling over abalone, this is a tough technique and does require sanding but you must wear a respirator mask as sanding abalone creates a toxic dust.

Name:	P2160306.JPG
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	559922

This one used Jim T's sap with Bill Havens sacrificial thread and then topped it off with a little heat and more color.

Name:	P7180004.JPG
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	559923

Comment

Thanks for sharing. There does seem to be endless ways to do marbling. I'm happy with these first results and will continue to experiment with it. Going to try a different finish epoxy on my next build.

As with the rest of rod building, you learn something new and improve technique on each build. From this build I learned that white thread is hard to keep "white", sticking to thread count in my wraps is noticeably better than just eye-balling it, the inexpensive hook keepers I purchased are one size too big and should be mounted to the side on a spinning rod config. Little things add up...

Comment

Awesome look. Great color mix.

Comment

I agree with you on learning each time and try using some color preserver on the threads. I add a few drops of water to thin it out and it seems to have stopped my issue with the threads darkening in certain areas. One thing I really enjoy about Rodbuilding is there doesn't seem to be a big "secret technique" going around. Everyone has been very helpful and that's pretty awesome in my book.

Comment

Working...
                          X