Some days are feathers and some days are chicken - in the marsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some days are feathers and some days are chicken - in the marsh

Tuesday, 7/9/13, fished hard for about 2 1/2 hours. Must of paddled the kayak about 2 miles through the marsh grass looking for fish. Tide was OK, wind was moderate, but the reds just weren't there. made a total of 2 casts in all that paddling. Spooked one and caught one (picture attached).

Wednesday, 7/10/13, went to a different marsh expecting different results. Well the results were different, but not the way intended. I must of paddled about 3 miles through the marsh and never saw a red to cast to. I did get rained on twice during this trip, but small enough price to pay for a tour through an empty redfish sanctuary. Went home with the firm conviction that fly fishing in the marsh in a kayak was way over rated and wondering how much green fees are now a days.

Thursday, 7/11/13, almost didn't go this morning, but after checking the cost of green fees decided that maybe fly fishing in the marsh wasn't such a bad deal after all. This morning was one of those magical mornings that keep you going back. I caught the first red of the day about 15 feet from the mother ship. I had just unloaded the kayak, loaded on the gear, started paddling and here came a pod of about 6 to 8 reds crashing through the grass line. Grabbed the rod, stripped out some line, flipped the fly out in front of the pod about 15 feet away, and instantly the fish was on. The next one was about 200 feet from the first one. It was a single crawling along the grass line with his back about 2 inches out of the water. The next one was in another small pod. I strip set the hook on one pretty good, but I was incredibly able to release him unharmed from about 80 feet away. Hooked another one about 20 minutes later and lost it to some incredibly incompetent amateurish user error. Caught the last one out of another pod that was raiding a grass line. Used a faded orange gurgler on this last one just to see if I could make it work. It did. Was back home by 8:30 with some wonderful memories, a few photos, and a new healthy respect for the much underrated sport of fly fishing in the marsh.

The one thing that is consistent about fishing in the marsh - it's different every day and you won't know till you go.

I apologize about the lack of creativity with the photos, but there is not much you can do with an old man and a fish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	574416Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.JPG
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	574417Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.JPG
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	574418Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.JPG
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	574419

Way to hang in there! Excellent read & photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work! Persistence pays off! Good report!
      "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Good report, thanks for posting!
        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Thats get'n after them jim.

Comment

Great report! Thanks!
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great report. Thanks Jim.

JYC
              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Great report ! I admire you for your stamina , persistance , and enjoying the great sport of fishing the marsh . Keep it up and keep posting !
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Very nice!
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Good time and good reading.The pics are great thanks for the post and sharing!
                    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Working...
                    X