keel damage & fuel range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keel damage & fuel range

I have a customer he runs 90 miles plus offshore on 48 hour run, he has 325 gallon fuel capacity, and hauls 500lbs of fish back with him and crew on a 2 day run on average, has twin four strokes, came to me and said I lost range in the last two trips I made, we talked and so he took the motors in for a inspection and found nothing wrong with his power, he claims he lost 60+ miles on fuel consumption, after he had the power checked out, he made a trip and claimed he did not loose as much range as he did the last two trips but still he has a lost fuel range, he towed the boat over to me for a little help with his trailer, two of the keel rollers were frozen needed new shafts and bushings, quick afordable fix, but his keel was all busted up, gelcoat missing, got into the glass and was getting worse, so we talked about repairing it, and I made the comment that your keel is the culprit gas theaft problem and you have not cleaned and wax the bottom of your hull since you have been a customer with me, so work was aproved, keel repaired and bottom wet sanded and compounded with a new couple coats of wax. He came over to the shop last night before closing and bosted of the fish that he and crew hauled in, had a cooler full of meat for me and my crew with a couple of colds ones to boot, and told me of his new extened range, Chris stated that my range is back to normal plus maybe 15 to 25 miles more, he will not know for sure tell he takes it back out again for compairson, but keel damage and a dirty bottom can cost you big money on fuel when you are only getting 3.0 to 3.5 miles to the gallon, Chris has a top shelve fuel management system that alows him to get a big bang for every drop of fuel spent, so we talked a little more about hull bottoms and efficacy and how water deflecting can cause drag and drag will cost you at the pump and how he is sold on a clean, slick, fresh wax bottom with no gelcoat damage for a extended fuel range, so we parted are ways tell next time. Just a little "tip for any boater" no matter how small or big of a boat you own, a clean, deflection free hull will make you run faster, cleaner in the water and more fuel efficiant. "I Hope the Tip Don't BLIND YA"
    Attached Files

good info.thanks for sharing
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
    X