High Water = Big Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Water = Big Redfish

As a fly angler, I much prefer the low water game. Give me a day offering negative tide values and we're probably going to need to tie a few extra flies. But it's only part of the game. The other part consists of showing up to your favorite flat or marsh pond to see only the tip tops of saltgrass with miles of new water surrounding it, scratching your head, and wondering what to do next. As frustrating as high water can be, there is a plus side though. It's during these times that we often see the biggest fish of the year in the shallowest of water. You may have to look harder and pole farther to find them, but the outcome is usually well worth the extra effort, and you'll be glad that you packed the camera.

As of late, there's been a big push of oversized fish in the backcountry. Fish up to 32" have consistently been found in water shallow enough to make the skiff rub, chasing down shrimp and mullet, and crushing poppers with reckless abandon. In the dirty high water, I find myself shortening leaders and tossing larger, more colorful flies than before at these big fish, reminding me of my LA days. And while we may not be seeing the usual numbers of fish that we do during periods of lower water levels, it's a nice tradeoff for now.

Attached Files
    Last edited by FP10; July 23, 2013, 04:21 PM.

It is crazy hard to find them when we are back there with the jetski and walking the marsh

Comment

Nice. Good but if info.

Comment

Cool stuff , thanks for the report and pictures !
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice fish and nice report Jarid. Tight lines for your upcoming trips. P.S. recognize the avatar?

Comment

Nice fish, now am a big fan of you JM
            BacklinksVault

Comment

Working...
            X