468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water in Downstairs Room-Suggestions Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Downstairs Room-Suggestions Please!!

With all the recent rain, we have had problems with water seeping into our downstairs room. We have considered several ideas like sealing the bottomplate, adding a concrete berm to divert the water and chipping out a channel so the water gets channeled away. Any new and hopefully inexpensive ideas are certainly welcome...thanks in advance!!...hk

PM or call 007 (Mike) he's our resident concrete guy...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Our house was built around 1975 and I built up the front yard beds. We eventually got mold in our 2 sunken rooms. Our neighbors had the same problem and they had to put in a drainage system. We did the same. We had seepage under our concrete front landing. A trench or concrete dam would not work. We were hoping for a easy way to fix the problem ,also - ha. You need to get a drainage company to check it in order to get to the source of the problem . GOOD LUCK
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

French drain.
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

On my bayhouse, I get water in downstairs room from heavy rains, so I dug a channel around the side of the house and that worked-the yard is crowned so that it is higher than the downstairs floor, so in heavy rains the runoff heads towards house. I dug a 4" trench along side of house to divert water from flowing into lowest structure/floor.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Yeah, the above may work. But, like LUREFISHER said, we had to put in a french drain- PVC pipe with holes in it and a " sock " covering it to capture water and drain it away from your house- and we had to put in grated drains for hard rain runoff. Like I said, it depends on the complexity of your situation. If it's not a sraight forward , simple cause you can figure out yourself, a knowlegeable drainage company will be needed.
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Is this the ground floor room or basement. Does it only leak during a rain...due you have any picS of it.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                French drain.
                Oui Oui!! And in the shape of a croissant!!. no seriously Gotta drain the water away from the structure. French drain is an option as long as you can drain it to a lower area.
                Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!...this is a bay house that once did not have a concrete driveway. Once the concrete driveway was poured/laid, it started draining/pooling in towards the downstairs room(existing slab). There is only concrete expansion seams. Flooding from sides where there is grass/dirt is not the problem...only where new slab meets old slab. When it really rains hard, we are in trouble and don't want to lose what we redid after Ike. So...french drain would help only if we completely chip out a drain in the slab to divert water. Thanks again for any more suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryK View Post
                    Thanks for all the suggestions!!!...this is a bay house that once did not have a concrete driveway. Once the concrete driveway was poured/laid, it started draining/pooling in towards the downstairs room(existing slab). There is only concrete expansion seams. Flooding from sides where there is grass/dirt is not the problem...only where new slab meets old slab. When it really rains hard, we are in trouble and don't want to lose what we redid after Ike. So...french drain would help only if we completely chip out a drain in the slab to divert water. Thanks again for any more suggestions.
                    That's easy enough......trench drain. Make a 1' saw-cut and put in a metal trench drain to a french drain and drain out to a lower part of the yard.
                    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

i would do the french drain and the 1" trench across slab be sure and run the trench so that will drain into french drain or away from slab.
                      Last edited by 007; October 7, 2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                        i would do the french drain and the 1" trench across slab be sure and run the trench so that will drain into french drain or away from slab.
                        I hear an echo in here.
                        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                          I hear an echo in here.
                          lol... Yall must think alike
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

(((((((anybody))))))((((((Anybody)))))...((((((pin ch hitting for Pedro Barbone))))))...((((Manny Moto))))))

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                              lol... Yall must think alike
                              dang oo7 thats scareee....man i didn't even read your post....westendangler i hope for his sake we don't look alike

Comment

Working...
                              X