Hot Water Heater... Rotten Eggs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater... Rotten Eggs!

Well my dad mentioned the hot water heater in Galveston (BRAND NEW)

It is a larger capacity than our previous but after Ike we replaced it...

There is a horrible odor of sulfur coming out of only the hot water lines. We've drained it once (at the tank) and let it refill but we kill the power to it (Electric) when we leave each weekend.

Should we crank up the heat to kill all the bacteria (I'm assuming its bacteria in the lines) to at least 140 degrees for a day if not two?

Anyone got any suggestions??
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Add some bleach to it, fill and run hot water taps for about an hour or so (altjhough I know bleach will cause rust, but the tank should be glass lined)-it is bacteria making that stink. I would not turn it off when you leave either. If you turn it off, you should drain it.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
      Add some bleach to it, fill and run hot water taps for about an hour or so (altjhough I know bleach will cause rust, but the tank should be glass lined)-it is bacteria making that stink. I would not turn it off when you leave either. If you turn it off, you should drain it.
      I would pour hydrogen peroxide in my tank before Bleach despite being more expensive its less corrosive and does the same thing for you that bleach would plus it won't harm you to drink it

Comment

ive noticed the water at my house smelling like sheet too lately. i dont believe its the hot water heater because mine is brand new. has anybody ever put on one of those in line water filters? think im going too.

Comment

I had one for the kitchen sink tap-I forgot about it and didn't change the filter for several years and it was fugly-when I had new lines put in a couple of years ago, that filter went bye bye.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Its city water were talking Pirates Cove... Hey Albert you had any problems? Issues??

Comment

Working...
            X