Catching Bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Bait

Where are some good places in Galveston County to catch your own bait with a castnet?

Before the causeway in all of that marshland, just exit on the straight away and cast in that channel. That is the only place i have seen people throw a castnet. I am sure there are pleny of other places.

Comment

trade secrets!!! I have a place I go and get shrimp another place for finger mullet... A no brainer would be SLP you can catch bait and fish there
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        trade secrets!!! I have a place I go and get shrimp another place for finger mullet... A no brainer would be SLP you can catch bait and fish there
        I know where you go......

Smitty's for live shrimp....

Rusty Hook for finger mullet.....

You're secret is out!!!
        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

What about uncle Bucks
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Mullet - surf right now.
            Shrimp - marshy areas in several subdivisions or like Jeremy said before the causeway.
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

All good suggestions, if your traveling by boat nearly any of the Reefs will have natural baits around them.......

1 place you do not want to throw a cast net in to is around the Seabrook Lagoon right off of Hwy 146.
              Signs are posted and the area is watched!

Good Luck!
              wd

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewaver View Post
                All good suggestions, if your traveling by boat nearly any of the Reefs will have natural baits around them.......

1 place you do not want to throw a cast net in to is around the Seabrook Lagoon right off of Hwy 146.
                Signs are posted and the area is watched!

Good Luck!
                wd
                why is that?they don't want a bunch of net throwing fools or does if have to due with plant security

by the way i noticed they fenced off that old bridge area on red bluff rd. any body know why........only reason i can think of were the...... undesireables.
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                  why is that?they don't want a bunch of net throwing fools or does if have to due with plant security

by the way i noticed they fenced off that old bridge area on red bluff rd. any body know why........only reason i can think of were the...... undesireables.
                  I believe that remember reading that the area in question is a shrimp spawning ground.
                  I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

*8 Mile Rd/Sportsman Rd/ Stewart Rd area.
                    *Down at the Pass on the Freeport side, check the ditch out right after Bluelight Bait Camp.
                    *At the dike, checkout the ditch right after Boyds, before the stop sign.
                    *The big ditch/flat that goes into Moses Lake, off 146.
                    *Around the Dickenson Bay boat ramp area, just not off the pier/ramp area. I believe that would be against the law.
                    ***** Off 45 South between Bayou Vista and the causeway there is a crossover drain ditch that flows under 45 to Jones Lake....check it out as well, but watch for hang ups!!!!!

Just a few I can think of.
                    Last edited by FlatoutFishin; October 11, 2009, 01:24 PM.
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

That whole place is a shrimp sanctuary. I used to live in an apt in nassau bay and would fish from the apt pier. We would cast net for bait. Every cast would bring in over a pound of jumbo shrimp. We never caught any fish except hard heads and occasionaly a tiny croaker. Then we thought screw it lets just keep the shrimp.

We would go out and catch 10lbs in a few minutes and have partys at the pool with grilled shrimp. We brought the fresh shrimp everyone else brought beer.

One night we were catching some and a cop came and told us the law and that one shrimp can cost you $100. We had about $10k in shrimp in our bucket. No more shrimping, but we did have about 20 zip locks in the freezer of them which was enough to feed a couple of poor bartenders for over a month.

As a conservationist I felt bad, but those were some good shrimp

Comment

Working...
                      X