468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cluster balloonist takes off from Maine, to cross the atlantic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster balloonist takes off from Maine, to cross the atlantic.

Talk about a redundant system...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418598/Jonathan-Trappe-IT-manager-attempts-cross-Atlantic-simply-clinging-helium-BALLOONS.html

You can follow his progress here, via ham radio, while he's in range of APRS stations.

At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Hope it doesn't turn into a cluster.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I am constantly amazed at the persuasive powers of alcohol .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nimrod

Comment

Where's my .22?

Ballons in a 50-70 mph wind-naw, no problem said the suicidal moron.

Maybe Obama will trade AF1 for Helium balloons-think about it, would less the release of "Deadly Carbon Gases" since Obama wouldn't have a Press Crew and 15 of his Home Boys on the raft attached to the balloons to spew his normal garbage that comes out of his mouth, not to mention the exhaust from AF1's jet engines!
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I wonder if he used the additive for the balloons that keeps them from loosing helium too quickly? He needs to stay aloft for 6 days. I've never seen a helium ballon last that long...I'm just sayin'.
            "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

His bubbles burst and he grounded after the first 12 hours.

There's a group of amateur radio balloonist's in Houston and they use a special balloon (weather balloon) that has special coatings. Their balloons burst (at predictable elevations around 100,000, at the edge of space) when the gas expands.

This cluster balloonist has different looking balloons (not weather) and based on the gps track, he had experienced wild elevation changes during the first 12 hours (1000' to 20,000'). I'd speculate the temperature and elevation variations caused his balloons to burst. He bailed in Newfoundland before actually getting to the wider Atlantic.
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Yeah sure, at 1000', my .22 LR got 8 balloons, then he got out of range only to come back in range and I managed to get a few more and he slowly drifted away while losing altitude. Don't always believe the Press!!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I wonder if his QSL card has balloons on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                    Yeah sure, at 1000', my .22 LR got 8 balloons, then he got out of range only to come back in range and I managed to get a few more and he slowly drifted away while losing altitude. Don't always believe the Press!!
                    Lol. I've shot a target at 1000 with a 308 and a .50 Barrett with ease. Can't imagine with a .22. I'd like to learn from you brother.

Comment

I said 1000 feet, not yards-heck I can hardly see 1000 yards.

Comment

HAR. !
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                        X