"Best" gold spoon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Best" gold spoon?

The classic gold spoon is one of my favorite lures.
    Use them for everything. Flounder, reds, specks, all hit on it.
    Every year I have to replace those lost.
    Just now went to Academy and grabbed a couple of the 1/2oz Johnson Sprites.
    After getting them home I tear off the useless hooks and split rings and add stainless rings, swivel, and heavy duty saltwater hooks.
    This time the spoon itself looks like a really cheap copy of what used to be a great lure.
    So I'm asking............
    By "best", I mean best quality.
    Quality as in the gold plating and tackle.
    Who makes a good quality spoon?

Opinions?
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Why throw a spoon when there is a topwater in my box?
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I have tried to throw the Johnston spoon and had no luck, but I have only thrown it a few times. Not sure who makes the best spoon, but I have to agree with chip.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

You guys never throw spoons?
        West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Only a few times and mostly in the surf on a calm day. When it is a little windy the darn thing flys all over the place.
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I love the tony accettas. They are pricey but dont tarnish and fall apart like the johnsons. The hooks are ok, but I usually throw some vmc's on.

Comment

Oneida makes a purdy good gold spoon,.....but you have to buy the forks and knives in the set.
              NOKATCHIN gave me some gold flatware to craft up,....just never got around to them since silver czech spoons work so well.
              Rigged with two ball bearing swivels on a short haywired steel leader. those homemade ones did purdy good in the surf this year.

Here's a couple of pics from the final trip to Sam's pier before they tore it down. All were caught on czech spoons.
              Attached Files

Comment

RC is the man...even though he doesnt take a bath but every week or maybe two. Come go fishing us man.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                  You guys never throw spoons?
                  Nope.......Thrown them 2 times since I started fishing salt 2 years ago. I probably should try them more, but I never get around to them.
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

the first limt i ever caught was in the surf using triple chance spoons after working in the Galv County Courthouse chasing a deal one day at noon in May. and i was ****** ever since and it has cost me so much $$$$$$$ since then in a whole lot of ways.

Comment

The "Czech Spoon"is the bomb.
                      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                        RC is the man...even though he doesnt take a bath but every week or maybe two. Come go fishing us man.
                        This coming from the man that reeks of expensive booze and cheap wimens.
                        At least I smell fishy from fish.

I'd luv to go fishing with ya, but there's no way I could keep up with the Blackjack in my kayak,...............not unless you leave the power pole down again.

Comment

Nemires are pretty good and expensive. They seem to hold up a little better to corrosion.
                          And Chip, throw the topwater until they quit biting then throw the spoon for more....just my experiance! I waded into a school of reds and black drum down on the ULM one day and flat wore them out on this very technique. It ended up being 2 to 1 in favor of the spoon by the way!
                          Don't be a Nancy!
                          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
                            Nemires are pretty good and expensive. They seem to hold up a little better to corrosion.
                            And Chip, throw the topwater until they quit biting then throw the spoon for more....just my experiance! I waded into a school of reds and black drum down on the ULM one day and flat wore them out on this very technique. It ended up being 2 to 1 in favor of the spoon by the way!
                            Still more fun to catch them on top unless there is money involved. I might try it some more and if I have more success I would keep throwing it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
                              Still more fun to catch them on top unless there is money involved. I might try it some more and if I have more success I would keep throwing it.

If your sight casting its all fun. Seeing that red go after your spoon or spinner in gin clear knee deep water has the same excitement I promise.
                              Don't be a Nancy!
                              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                              X