Thinking about a Carolina skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a Carolina skiff

I am thinking about purchasing a Carolina skiff and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best model for fishing West Bay and any pros and cons about these boats.

Thanks in advance.

ive Been in and out of carolina skiffs a long time ,I like them but you need to be ready for a wet ride.The newer models are supposed to be made for a dryer ride.
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Thanks for the response. I had a Triton Sea Hunt CC 17' but got tired of running up on sand barsetc. I am looking for something with a small shallower draft.

Comment

They are a very wet and rough ride, but will run skinny. If you have the money to go to a gulf coast, trans cat or flats cat, that is the way to go.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

i owned a 19 ft w/ a 60 hp evinrude...great boat if you dont mind the wet ride
          excellent flounder giggin boat!!! floats on a wet lawn....and dont forget the SLIDE
          overall good boat...just couldnt handle the wet..and rough into a head sea....beats like a alum flatbottom though
          Captain Glenn Stevens
          Coastal Guide Service
          www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

txwhaler 22

What is SLIDE? I am not familiar with that term.

My thanks to everyone for their comments

Comment

[quote=Willin2learn;38501]txwhaler 22

What is SLIDE? I am not familiar with that term.

That's when you turn and your boat skids across the top of the water in the opposite direction of your turn. Flat bottom boats tend do do this -- kind of akin to fish-tailing a vehicle but on a bigger scale. My father in law's shoalwater does this really bad. Once you get used to it it's pretty easy to adjust for. Don't plan on making any sharp fast turns though. I'm partial to the boats with a partial or modified V -- like the Gulf Coast or Southshore -- much dryer ride and they turn on a dime.
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

ibtsoom hit it on the head...the boat has no keel so it slides when you turn
                i sold mine to a guy in sea isle he love it
                Captain Glenn Stevens
                Coastal Guide Service
                www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I'd recommend spending what you were planing on spending on a Carolina Skiff on a good recent year model used boat. There are a ton out there now. For instance the guy that was trying to sell his 2008 loaded Famous Craft for $18,000.
                  New boats depreciate faster than just about anything except wives!
                  "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                  X