Jones Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones Lake

Checking back through my Logs and from past experience, Jones Lake should be a place to pick up some nice fish. Reds/Trout and Flounder should be stacking inside the Lake. Making long drifts from end to end should be a good pay off . Wind direction and catching a high tide should be a key for finding the fish. The lake is shallow so be careful and there is a few hidden reefs, idle about till you feel safe. Someone once told me there is no Big fish in Jones, well I kinda of disagree. Been going to the lake since I was just my Dad’s little fart, now @ 57 I’ve visited the Lake many times and have almost always came home with some nice fishes.. this time of the year! Here’s a few Pic’s, bear in mind these are from Nov 05-Dec 07. Now have a little bigger boat and just a bit Leary about cursing about in the Lake even though I know about the reefs and shallow areas..
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b5...D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b5...D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b6...D550/ry%3D400/

I have many more Photos, but in my Photobucket account but no can get to here at work..
    Go to Jones and have a good time!

Happy Fishing and be Safe,
    wd
    Last edited by Bluewaver; November 1, 2009, 08:17 PM.

Thanks Walt.....Nice pics. I still remember the time you showed me around out there. I agree that there are some great fish to be had in there during the fall and winter!
    I think Thomas pulled a 28" trout out of there last winter.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Thanks for the info -- havent tried in there yet this year -- guess its getting about that time.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Jones is a great fall and winter time place. In the fall I like the shoreline around Basford Bayou for Reds and Trout. I strictly throw topwaters on this shoreline. I will live and die with a topwater here. Usually catch the Reds up skinny skinny and the Trout out a little deeper. Like WD said this is a great drifting bay aswell. Long drifts covering the mud/shell mix can produce solid catches of Trout, Flounder, and Reds. Look for bird action in the fall into the early winter. Winter time try and find the dirty offcolored water. There will be fish holding in the streaky dirty stuff.

There are big Trout to be had in Jones. I have never busted 30" there but I have pulled 4 28" Trout and 3 29" Trout out of there back when I lived in Bayou Vista and fished it all the time. 5 of these toads came off of the Basford shoreline and the other 2 came off of 1 of the smaller reefs in the middle of the bay. All in Jan and Feb on topwaters.

Good post WD

AQUA PIMP
        AQUA PIMP......
        "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

I used to fish Jones a ton about 20 years ago. The biggest flounder I ever caught came out of there in the fall on a Red gummy worm under a popping cork - yes gummy worms the candy. He was still chomping down on it when we pulled him in.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your knowledge about Jones you guys !!
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

In the 60-70's @ Louies Bait camp it was sooooo cool. My Pops had a 6 HP Chryler motor, you could rent small boats with or without motors. It had a live well for your Live Shrimp, so we would Poot and Skoot all the way down to what my Pops called the 4 corners in the Diversionary. He always made sure he was first to cast and always cast towards the bank of the Canal, and always whacked the 1st Trout... Since I was the youngest of my other 2 Brothers I was the Net Man most the time..
              Thru the years most that have fished with me know me as
              the
              "Best Dam Net Man in Texas"

Thanks,
              wd

Comment

Alot of good info thanks guys.
                10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Nope, There are NO FISH in jones lake EVER lol

I hear that all the time

There are plenty of fish, if you know how to fish it.

Ive had 3 fish over 28 including the one pictured, that we didnt get a weight on that i figure was over 9#s.

Unfortunately, if your like many folks that live in bayou vista. We forget about jones all the time, but winter is magical time in there...

Someone stated incoming high tides, i actually prefer jones during an outgoing tide for trout and reds.. We hammer trout during the winter when we do actually fish it.
                  Attached Files
                  Capt. Thomas Barlow
                  281-827-6815
                  www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Texxan1 View Post

I hear that all the time

Ive had 3 fish over 28 including the one pictured, that we didnt get a weight on that i figure was over 9#s.

Unfortunately, if your like many folks that live in bayou vista. We forget about jones all the time, but winter is magical time in there...

Someone stated incoming high tides, i actually prefer jones during an outgoing tide for trout and reds.. We hammer trout during the winter when we do actually fish it.
                    That's the one I was talking about!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I hear that all the time

Nice fish Texan!
                      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I hear that all the time

Great Pic Texxan1,
                        Yelp heard the myth myself about no fish in Jones.. It's true sometimes but given the right conditions... Like today and Wham Big ole Fishes!!
                        Again Great Pic,
                        Thanks,,
                        wd

Comment

I hear that all the time

Yep, outgoing on a light SE wind and the north shoreline like "Da Pimp" said. But you guys quit giving out all my secrets........

I've caught Reds till my arms hurt many times on Space Guppy BAs. I've found you can throw any color you want as long as it is Chartreuse or Limetresue. The Dayglow Corky Devil is also a big fish killer in there this time of year.

We like to start our drifts about 200-300 yards from the shore, put the drift sock out and move in slowly. You pick up your trout in the first 150-200 yards then you start hammering reds, with a flounder or two thrown in just for good measure.

Dang, now I'm giving out secrets......
                          Last edited by bountyhunter; November 5, 2009, 07:56 AM.
                          Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Thanks!
                            NoBama

Comment

Working...
                            X