Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys I am trying to get into the yak thing. I usually fish by myself (lack of fishing buddies) and am thinking a yak would be easier than hauling the boat around. I was wondering if yall had any feedback on the Ocean Kayak Big Game? And what are the must have's. I am wanting to learn to fish the west end as I grew up fishing the east end. I would appreciate any feedback and if anybody knows of one for sale I would sure take that info to. I am in Rosenberg so not too far. Thanks

I say use the boat and forget the Yak. There are plenty of guys around to go with you, just post up and you will find someone willing.
    Good luck and welcome!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Chip is just trying to get a ride on your boat Yaks are great fishing tools, especially if you only have 4 or 5 hours to be out.

Big games are good yaks. It is slightly towards the "wider and stable but slower" category. If you are a bigger guy it is a good choice. If you may want to take it into the surf on a marginal day it is a good choice. If you are looking for a yak to cover lots of water in the bay it is not your best choice.

Comment

I am 6ft and 245. For my size what other options might be available to me?
        Thanks for the help.

Comment

Ocean Kayak Big Game
          Malibu X-factor

I would look at these and try to test-paddle them first. Both have plenty of capacity.

What are you interested in mainly? Bays? Surf? Is storing a big yak not a problem?

Comment

Want to fish the bays more west than east. I like to fish grass a bunch. Storing a big yak is not a problem.

Comment

OK, West vs East bay doesn't matter. Some folks like to fish the gulf in moderate waves, and need a bit more stable yak (at the expense of some speed).

Maybe also look at the Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (there was an awesome deal on one a little while ago) or Malibu Xtreme. They are some faster kayaks. Check the weight capacity (your weight plus 30lbs or so of gear should be well under max)

Comment

Shoot, one of our members has a really nice kayak for sale here...
                http://www.fishwestend.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3564

Weight capacity on Perception Search 15 is 350lbs. It has a rudder too (really nice plus) that needs an easy repair.

The boat is a bit heavy at 70lbs, but to get a kayak to float a bigger guy, it's going to be a bit heavier itself. Plus it is long, so that makes it weigh a bit more but you will haul azz on the water.

Honestly, that is a great deal. I paid 1200 for my new 12' WS Tarpon with rudder.

Comment

heritage redfish are great yaks also.. just find a place that will let you take a few out for a test ride before you buy.. not sure what side of town your on but southwest paddle sports in the woodlands can prolly hook you up with whatever you need and they are good people with alot of knowledge about yaks..
                  Boats and hoes.

Comment

I have a redfish 14 with rudder and it is very stable......the speed is not as I would like but, for me being a big guy I want it to be stable. Dont know how it compares to an ocean kayak big game, but compared to a king fish, or pelican, I love mine! Compared to a tarpon I stay behind, but I am probably less wet when paddling. You can also check out craiglist or TKF ( www.texaskayakfisherman.com ) for good used yaks. Good luck.

Comment

oh yaeh I got mine at Fishingtackle Unl.

Comment

I have 2 Tarpon 140's, love them! Rudders etc. They performed great and I've had people upwards of 250lbs on them.
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have a 14' Perception and 14' Tarpon. Stability is not a problem. You can sit sideways just fine. I've never over turned. You do want speed as you will end up going farther than you think now. I'm old and decrepid and I go miles . It's a fine fishing tool. You'll go in marsh cuts, over deep mud, drift marsh shorelines and places you never could without a yak. It'll be a whloe new fishing world to explore. I highly recommend a rudder for ease of manuevering. You can silently drift that marsh line or go cross deep water. Check out Texas Kayak Fisherman board. You can rig an anchor pulley system to get your anchor to the stern, a must. If you want more personal input just ask.
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Guys thanks for all the input. I went by ACK in houston yesterday to take a look and I think I am going to try and test drive a few before I settle for one. I like the stability and width of the OK big game but I like the perception line as well. I know I am going to sacrifice some speed with the OK if I go in that direction. Do any of yall fish the surf when green water is in during the summer "trout time" if so how do the yaks work for that?

Comment

I've been in the surf with my 14' Perception. If you worry about rolling over and dumping all your gear , that is when it will happen. Getting past the breakers and coming back in you have to slice thrugh the waves head on. You get turned sideways and you'll roll over. Again, a RUDDER will be a great advantage for this . I'd still have a rudder even if I never go in the surf.
                              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X