WOTM #1 ~ Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOTM #1 ~ Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon

Here we go boys and gals. My first Whiskey Of The Month write up. Let me preface this....I suck at writting and spelling, but I enjoy learning and sharing things I find interesting with anyone who will "listen". Some of you may know that Bruce (Curmudgeon) and I are 2/5 of a small whisky club in the Clear Lake area (based out of my house). I enlisted his help on this venture.....so without further ado...

Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

$22.00 for a 750ml

Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is the flagship bourbon of the seven time “Distillery of the Year”, Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky. This non-age statement whiskey is bottled at a much appreciated 45% ABV (90 proof). It has been written (unofficially) that Buffalo Trace is bottled with an average age of 8 years (plus or minus).

Buffalo Trace bourbon as we know it, hit the shelves in 1999. However, the grounds on which the distillery stands, has been producing whiskey under various names and ownership since the late 1780s. Modern distillation arrived on site in 1857. Fortunately, during the Prohibition era, the distillery was able to keep it’s doors open because it held one of only four permits issued in the country to continue the distillation of “medicinal” whiskey. Since 1992, a New Orleans based company, Sazerac, has been the “deep pockets” needed to make it possible for the distillery to produce the volume and quality of whiskey that it has been year after year.

The distillery’s 119 acres and 114 buildings are quite rich in history. Hell, a few of the aging warehouses have been in use for 125+ years. The distillery bottles bourbons that range in age from 4 to 23 years old. Here is a quick list of the other bourbons they produce and bottle:

• Ancient Age
    • Antique Collection
    • Benchmark
    • Blanton’s
    • Buffalo Trace
    • Eagle Rare Single Barrel
    • Elmer T. Lee
    • Experimental Collection
    • Hancock’s
    • Old Charter
    • Old Taylor
    • Rock Hill Farms
    • Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey
    • Stagg Jr.
    • Van Winkle
    • W.L. Weller

Do yourself a favor this month. Grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon and your favorite sipping glass. Light your Christmas tree and sip this American treasure while you sit in quiet reflection of all the hard work and discipline you have put forth this year. Job well done my friend!

Merry Christmas to the entire FWE crew and their beloved family members.

Nose: Sweet, ginger, molasses, carmel, pear, apple, banana, marmalade

Nose (w/ a little water): Spiced orange, stove top caramel, toffee, brown sugar

Taste: Sharp, barrel wood bitterness (in a good way), spicy, white pepper, .....yet fruity
    Attached Files

Yep! I posed for the picture on the bottom!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
      Are you the glass or the bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good read on one of my favorite subjects, that plaid is exactly the same as the flannel lounge pants I'm fixin to go put on.

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
          You make jokes because she makes you nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyWayne View Post
            Good read on one of my favorite subjects...
            My 1st positive comment! Thanks KW. I already started working on #2.

Comment

Hey , er , the blond wouldn't perhaps be one of the other 5 club members would she ? Bruce being a member didn't arouse much enthusiasm , but I'm aroused now .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

WOTM #1 ~ Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon

I only like it mixed... Not my favorite whiskey but it's good.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I was actually surprised how good it was neat or with a splash. It's moved way up in my whiskey pantheon.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Not much of a drinker but love the Twin Peaks gal....

Comment

Oh yeah and nice little write up there.....

Comment

Nice evaluation , very interesting . Is that your favorite of the 16 whiskeys ?
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                          Nice evaluation , very interesting . Is that your favorite of the 16 whiskeys ?
                          Too early to tell.....I haven't tasted their complete range. It is too small to see, but there are 10 examples mixed in with others in the pic of my cabinet I am using as my aviator. I'll probably never get to taste the Van Winkle line. It is produced in low volumes by design. I'd have a better chance catching a snook in Chocolate Bay. However, W.L. Weller is made of the same wheated mash bill as Van Winkle. WLW is usually stocked at your local liquor store. If you find a WLW 12 year old out there, grab two. It is getting harder to find.

BT is a respectable bourbon that is readily available at a decent price. I enjoy my bourbon neat with a touch of water to mellow out the alcohol and release the wonderful aromas. Every once in a while, I'll mix up a cocktail with BT and it holds up well.

Grab one of the smaller bottles of BT behind the counter and give it a try. Post you thoughts on this thread.
                          Last edited by buoy37; December 10, 2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

When I do drink and thats usually when I have a tad of illness, I'll take a touch of Kentucky Straight Bourbon. My preferred choice is Evan Williams. That +/- 8 years in the oak is questionable on BT but I will give it a try. But I have been stupid or brave enough to give Old Crow a swallow and with a steak/potato I absolutely love Wellers and water at room temp, no ice.
                            Jack Daniels should stay in Tennesse as to my taste its harsh and has a oily after taste and a bite.
                            Kentucky is the best place to distill because what I believe is their water. Give me Kentucky spirits over any other.
                            I'll give the BT a good drink down my next stop at the line.

Bruce, no offense but I thought you were referring to the picture"on the bottom" as that animal on the torn white paper on the BT bottle!! You know, the Buffalo!! The picture of the Bull!!! LMAO!!!!
                            "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

I only drink when I have " a tad of illness " also . Fortunately I feel fairly ill every day .

Comment

Working...
                              X