Christmas bay, fri., 11-6-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas bay, fri., 11-6-09

Launched my kayak at Earnie's 2 about 6:30 AM. Wind 7-12 MPH , NE in morning and E in afternoon. Sunny, water about 71 degrees, tea colored 9 " visibilty ,more muddy in stronger currents , out going tide strong until late afternoon, incoming about 5 PM. KEY LIME KAYAKER and I headed to the left fishing the grass line and going up sloughs . He caught a 18" trout and 2 reds. Lots of bait and swirls on points with the tide moving well now. Fished out from the shore about 100 yards on some shell , more bait but no strikes. Went to mouth of Churchill Bayou where I anchored up while he patroled the marsh on the SE side of the mouth. He hollored me over as he saw reds bulging wakes against the grass and we hooked up under sized reds. Mine on GULPS. He worked the grass with spook jr's and I went back to the bayou mouth and into a cut that came out in Churchill Bayou. Fished my way towards Cold Pass on the shoreline and stopping at outfalls bumping the gulp on the bottom for flounder. One drain mouth I stuck my rod tip down with the Gulp on the end to see the depth of the washout and I got my rod jerked down hard by a fish- flounder probably- had a bite mark on the curly tail. That was a surprise. Ended up at Cold Pass on Churchill and fished that. Went up a marsh nearby and caught 5 trout, 4 flounder, 4 reds on Gulp, all under sized. Fished the mouth of the big , wide canal at Cold Pass / Churchill Bayou on the now incoming tide and finally got a 18" keeper flounder, about 5 PM. Headed back towards Earnie's and with twilight on the SE flats and incoming tide and bait I had a nice blow up when I stopped my black spook jr. I know that twilight can be as good as pre-dawn, so I stayed on the flats until after dark chunking spook jr's, corkys, floater/diver crank baits , but no luck. Finally dorve off at 7 PM. Still a great day on the water. Isn't it always ?
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

more pictures

I have my first digital camera I got for taking pictures while fishing, so humor me.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

excellent report!! long day in a kayak....love that churchill bayou!!
      you did good with the photos
      Captain Glenn Stevens
      Coastal Guide Service
      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Pictures

I'm getting carried away.
        Attached Files

Comment

congrats on the slam and nice pics.. wish i could have been out this weekend
          Boats and hoes.

Comment

Great report and pics.....Thanks,
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Thanks for the pictures & the report..
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

nice report and pics.congrats
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

thanks for the report and the pics...
                  sigpic

Comment

That's twelve hours of fishing. Way to grind! Congrats on the slam, and really nice picture taking.

Comment

Interesting report but I can't imagine sitting in a kayak that long.

Comment

You are the picture taking man!! Keep it up dude. Mine all look exactly the same -- it's nice to see some variety. Thanks for the report!
                        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                        X