• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOTM #2 ~ Jim Beam Black 8 yr old

JimBeam Black Double Aged 8 Years Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
    43% ABV (86 proof)
    $19.00 for a 750ml
    (UPC Code: 80686)

Well, WOTM #2 is here and it has not gone according to plan. Due to both the XMas and New Years holidays being so nice, I got behind on my reading and writing of the Jim Beam legacy and it's 7 generations of whiskey makers. To complicate the situation, I have not been able to log on to the FWE forum from a PC since the recent update. So here I am "chicken peckin'" the words on a new XMas tablet that I don't know how to use. Lastly....I didn't like the JBB, but that all changed as I spent more time with this whiskey. So instead of a history lesson, I decided to write a "shoot from the hip" commentary of this fine Kentucky straight bourbon.

I started my history research on the Beams before I had cracked the bottle open (metal cap) of my JBB. For a couple of quiet nights, I read about Jacob Beam (1770-1834), David Beam (1802-1854), David Beam Jr. (1833-1913), James "Jim" Beam (1864-1947), Jeremiah Beam (1899-1977), Booker Noe (1929-2004) and Fred Noe (1957-present). The more I read about the Beams of the past, I subconsciously started to form an opinion of a bourbon I had not tried yet. With previous names like "Old Jake Beam Sour Mash" and "Old Tub", I had predetermined that this bourbon was going to be big and bold like the Beams themselves. It turns out the JBB is quite the opposite.

JBB is a light, delicate and easy to drink bourbon. As a matter of fact, I will venture to say that this bourbon falls somewhere between a fine Scotch and a fine bourbon. It is not all vanilla and caramel like most bourbons. There are hints of honey and fruits like a Sherry finished Balvenie Scotch whisky. Surprisingly, there is a stone and ash finish in the aftertaste that reminds me of a Highland Park Scotch. JBB is an excellent step stone for bourbon drinkers wanting to work their way towards Scotch whisky or vice versa for Scotch drinkers interested in Kentucky bourbon.

Nose: Pear, molasses, orange peel and barrel wood

Nose (w/ water): Pear and apple juice, honeysuckle, ripe black plums and wood

Taste: White pepper, apple, honey, cherry, cedar, crushed stone and ash.

If the above tasting notes don't get you interested in grabbing a bottle of JBB, maybe this celebrity endorsement will...

Lordy, I have loved some ladies
    And I have loved Jim Beam
    And they both tried to kill me in 1973 ~ "Family Tradition" by Hank Williams Jr

In closing, you may have noticed that I included the UPC code prefix (80686) at the top of the write up. Next time you are at your favorite liqour store, turn some bourbon bottles around to see what other whiskies Jim Beam produces from the top shelf to the bottom shelf, by reading the first five digits of the UPC label (80686). Post up what you find!

Sorry there are no pics this time.

buoy
    Last edited by buoy37; January 10, 2014, 02:38 AM.

Good even at pecking and winging it.....all I can say is a country boy can survive. Nice insight there sir thank you.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Gonna have try that UPC at WizWhites next trip. I've always liked JB but mostly the white label. I also have seen at Specs a Jacobs White Label Jim Beam and should have snatched a jug. Looks like bpttled moonshine to me and supposedly aged 1 year in oak. But maybe not charred oak.
      When I've got illness and need a touch I like Evan Williams or JB as its got low ABV and I drink it neat. Sometimes with honey and lemon and heated but that messes up the taste.
      As far as Scotch, no way. Its always reminded me of a rot gut cheap Bourbon that a mechanic was drinkin changing radiator hoses on an old junker, and removed the burnt up hose and used the hose to stir his bourbon. Its got a definite burnt taste to me. Only way I can stomach that stuff is in cold milk.

Great WOTM report!! Thanks for sharing!!! Keep em comin!!
      "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Originally posted by mgstei1 View Post
        Jacobs White Label Jim Beam and should have snatched a jug. Looks like bpttled moonshine to me and supposedly aged 1 year in oak. But maybe not charred oak.

As far as Scotch, no way.

Great WOTM report!! Thanks for sharing!!! Keep em comin!!
        I think Jacob's Ghost is charcoal filtered to remove the tint from the 1 year it spends in the barrel.

As for Scotch, maybe l'll get the opportunity to put a few drams in front of you that might change your mind.

Lastly, thank you for the words of encouragement. You keep reading and replying.....l'll keep drinking and writing

Comment

It's amazing the difference a little time can make.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Yeah, on the moonshine forums lots of shiners put white oak chips in their shine and it picks up the flavors in the oak but remains clear in color cause the oak wasn't charred. Gonna try that with a pint and place it under the house and leave it. Temp changes makes the oak contract and restrict and oozes out stuff to give the Ethanol flavors.
            My throat is a little edgy this am so a little Mr Evan Williams snort is needed. Too windy to fish.

Comment

Well MG , I'm feeling poorly myself after fishing Friday and Saturday . Sipping some Jim Bean Black now at Bouy 37 request for a review . Clinical evaluation only . I told him , dang , I smoke cigars , it's gotta have cayanne pepper in it to taste anything . I don't get pomegranate peel and stone washed jeans out of anything . It's mild smelling . The Weller ancient 107 smells like a honest to goodness bourbon . The JBB is mild straight , a little after bite , not much . Smooth and drinkable straight . Some woody flavor . But between cigars and cayenne pepper on everything I eat , that's the best I can do .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                Well MG , I'm feeling poorly myself after fishing Friday and Saturday . Sipping some Jim Bean Black now at Bouy 37 request for a review . Clinical evaluation only . I told him , dang , I smoke cigars , it's gotta have cayanne pepper in it to taste anything . I don't get pomegranate peel and stone washed jeans out of anything . It's mild smelling . The Weller ancient 107 smells like a honest to goodness bourbon . The JBB is mild straight , a little after bite , not much . Smooth and drinkable straight . Some woody flavor . But between cigars and cayenne pepper on everything I eat , that's the best I can do .
                You the man, plugger. Save some funnies for next time we fish. Lmao! Being interviewed, huh.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                  The best whisky reviewer on the web ( www.ralfy.com ) also smokes cigars as do I. I sample a few ounces of the WOTM at a time over several days. The aforementioned reviewer Ralfy, seems to do the same thing. He is usually sitting next to a bottle that is missing 1/3 - 1/2 it's juice as he reports his findings. I can't sit down and start rattling of tastes and aromas. I think that the people that pretend they can, are full of sh!t. It takes me hours to come up with just a few notes.

The tasting notes listed are a combination of mine and another FWEer. We don't always pick up on the same things. Our scent and taste memory banks are different and individual.

I am sure your Basil Hayden's has some fine notes just waiting for you to discover.

Comment

Well , dang son , why didn't you tell me I had to drink at least half a bottle for aromas and tastes to develope on the palate . I assume you don't mean at one sitting . I did that once and all I remember was a nightmare about being attacked by huge trout while wading and the aroma and taste of vomit on my palate .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

From memory , I can say the Basil Hayden is more complex and has more " body " . Would it not be advisable to compare two bourbons at the same time ? Would one reveal the other's qualities by contrast or get false results by lingering flavors the the other . I'll start this morning at the office and should have killed the bottle by bedtime with notes . HAR !

Comment

basil hayden at 80proof has got to be a great sippin neat bourbon too. Pluggster, you are correct in that it may take a fifth to detail the qualities.

LMAO while Im sippin. Still have a scratchy throat. Been tuff this winter,

Comment

Interesting development; Suntory bought out Jim Beam today.
                          http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...for-136b-cash/

"Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                            Interesting development; Suntory bought out Jim Beam today.

lol. There goes my favorite drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                              Interesting development; Suntory bought out Jim Beam today

This fine review sealed the deal for the buyers.

Thanks for posting it up Bruce.

Comment

Working...
                              X