36 hr Tuna Safari January 25th-26th Capt. John out of Galveston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 hr Tuna Safari January 25th-26th Capt. John out of Galveston

Here’s a write up on my 36 hour Tuna Safari experience on the Capt. John (William’s party boats) for the trip January 25th-26th. I learned a lot and I would like to do it again. Pictures to follow.
    This is aimed for the FWE'rs going on Feb 8th and 9th.

http://charterfishinggalveston.com/3...nformation.htm

Fishing License – Texas with salt water stamp – The game wardens where waiting at the dock at the end of the trip and checked each license as each fisherman disembarked. They counted the snapper on each and every stringer. The stringers are tagged with your fisherman number.

Clothing
    • Because of the initial cold weather I dressed in layers, similar to what I do for wade fishing. I’ve some polypro long underwear which helped cut the morning chill breeze through my nylon fishing pants.
    • Later on the weather became pleasant (partly cloudy) and I shed layers accordingly.
    • I did not have boots, though the deck got pretty wet and bloody. I was just fine with running shoes and wool socks. The dogs (when I got home) loved licking my shoes, due to the various residues (like shark blood).
    • I had a buff and a pullover hat, which I changed to a golf cap later on.

Dramamine
    I took one tablet about 6 hours before getting on the boat and then one every ten or so hours. I took a total of three pills. Seas were pretty calm for the entire trip. I’m glad I took them.

Equipment
    • I took one rod (50 lb. 6’8” ugly stick) and a Penn Squall reel loaded with 30 lb mono, backed with braid. Next time I might consider two rods and reels. But more rods than that, it turns into clutter.
    • There were others, who brought dozens of rods and reels, with milk crates full of tackle. All this stuff was staged on the upper deck so as not to clutter the “fishing deck”. You could stock most of an FTU store from looking at all the gear up there.
    • Williams provides rods and reels, and they are serviceable, using older hardy Penn reels.
    • The tip here is to have a reel with a fast retrieve, at least 5:1 and a rod that is about 7’ and no longer – due to the upper deck overhang over the main deck.

Tackle
    • Williams does not provide tackle for your rod. The tackle they do have is pretty much steel leaders, egg weights, swivels and hooks only. This is generally reserved for use with their rods.
    • Bring your own steel leaders, egg weights, swivels and hooks.
    • Some folk used two and three hook bait rigs and these proved the most difficult to untangle from everybody else’s lines (see below).
    • You must provide your own jigs. They are necessary for you to have an enjoyable trip. They recommend diamond, butterfly and tuna poppers 6 to 8 oz.
    • Diamond jigs –
      • I brought chrome and hammered.
      • Chromes do better than hammered.
      • I modified a hammered 6 oz. with two assist hooks (different sizes) and replaced the bottom treble with a single hook. I also added a squid skirt over one of the assist hooks. I caught nearly every fish with this set-up. I also baited the bottom hook when going for snapper. I found they hit both the assist and the bottom hooks.
      • Be sure to attach a swivel, with a split ring, directly to the top of the diamond jig and tie your line directly to the swivel. All the regulars rigged their diamonds this way.
      • In deep water, using an unmodified chrome 6 oz. jig is the norm (treble hook on).
      • I’d consider trying 4 oz. or 5 oz. jig, to get a faster retrieve and retain stamina over the hours of jigging.

• Butterfly
      • Williamson Benthos speed jigs – 6oz./150g (pink or bone, glow in the dark), I saw a lot of catches with this jig.

• Tuna poppers
      • I saw several use these and catch with these, though the go-to jigs seemed to be diamond, then the speed jigs.

• Bait - I caught my bait (blue runner), but some had pre-purchased a 5lb box of herring through Williams. Some had frozen sardines. For the afternoon session the second day, squid is provided and small cut pieces for vermillion snapper. The red snapper loved to suck the bait off the hooks. I wasn't hurting for bait.

The boat
    • Leaves out of Pier 19 in Galveston.
    • Parking is $5 (exact change – self serve) and the lot is slightly further northeast of where you pass the Williams shanty on the pier. When you check in at the shanty, you’ll receive a boarding pass (with your fisherman number) and a note to put in your windshield for parking the whole 36 hrs.
    • The fisherman number locates where you fish on the boat. For this trip there is a limit of 40. So you can spread out a little bit as the trip wears on.
    • Closer to the back is preferred, but it’s not that important on these 40 man trips. Advantage is closer to the deckhands for gaffing catch and watching the regulars (what they are throwing and what they are catching). Disadvantage is at the corners, near the back, there is more traffic and I was knocked into a few times while reeling.
    • There are 40 sleeping berths, top and bottoms. If you get onto the boat early enough, 6:00am-6:30am you’ll have a choice for the preferred bottom berths (out of the light).
    • When the boat is moving to sites, it’s best to nap for the 4 or 5 hours of transit time.
      • Comment – it amazed me that a couple guys slept through the entire tuna fishing sessions.

The bathrooms
    • Men’s and Ladies rooms. The lady’s is much cleaner than the men’s and can be used for overflow, when there is line for the men’s. But don’t be in the ladies room when the captain (Jill) needs it (like I was). She just about threatened keel hauling me, but was very pleasant after her bladder was empty and make-up was on.

Food
    • The galley is well stocked, the coffee machine is low volume, so there was a wait on coffee from time to time (but no biggie).
    • Prices are reasonable (sodas, beer, hot dogs, corn dogs, brisket sandwiches, water, candy, fruit (including bananas), etc.)
    • Your fisherman number can be used as a tab at the galley counter and settle up on the ride back to port.

The schedule (somewhat approximate)
    • The boat left promptly at 7:30
    • 1:00pm Stetson rock (I think) – check the website report.
    • 1:00pm-2:30pm fish for red snapper until the sharks (great looking hammerhead amongst them) arrived and drove off the schools.
    • 2:30pm-6:30pm travel to Nansen truss spar
    • 6:30pm -11:00pm several drifts for tuna (very productive)
    • 11:30pm -12:00am travel to Ensco drilling rig 8506 –
    • 12:00am – 2:30am several drifts for tuna (pretty non-productive)
    • 2:30am -3:30am travel to Boomvang truss spar
    • 3:30am-7:00am several drifts for tuna (very productive)
    • 7:00am-11:30am travel to open water location for snapper
    • 11:30pm– 2:00pm fish for snapper (changed locations a few times looking for schools)
    • 2:00pm-7:00pm travel back to port

Actual fishing, tangles, etc.
    • Fortunately, I fished right next to regulars (the same dozen, or so, make every tuna trip) and I learned a lot from them.
    • Williams will ensure you catch the limit of red snapper (4, mine were fairly large)
    • I only got one tuna and lots of misses (the average was 3, about 150 for the entire boat), though a couple people got more than 20 each, which skews the average. I also caught an estimated 10 lb. squid, but they couldn’t gaff it, before it spit out the jig, that one really tired me out.
    • One of the more interesting events was the catch of a 7’ long black tip at the first stop. See pics.
    • Tangled lines were a common occurrence. A hooked fish would circle around and snag several lines. Also, as the boat drifted, lines would cross and tangle on being reeled in. Many times, lines from the starboard side would tangle with lines from the port side, under the boat. One side would have to coordinate slacking off, so the tangle could be brought within reach and undone.
    • There seemed to be more tuna near the rigs at the beginning of a drift. Early in the water meant a better chance of a hook up. It also means a better chance of a tangle.
    • There is a definite technique to working the jig and a fast retrieve on hooking the tuna. The tuna are looking for a lively and fast bait.

Trip completion
    When we arrived back, the game wardens greeted us and checked the catch. The catch was distributed by fisherman number. For this trip, the cleaning was free at Katie’s seafood, a couple doors down from the boat dock. Seems that the local “street” cleaners were causing a lot of lost fish and fighting at the dock, so William’s and Katie’s come up with this option.
    Tips are welcome by the deckhands and the Katie’s cleaners. For more info on this you can PM me.
    Last edited by Oleander Kayaker; January 27, 2014, 03:48 PM.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Sounds like a fantastic time. Thanks for the heads up on all the information.
    TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Great info Mark! Glad you had fun. It sounds like something I may have to try after all.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
        Great info Mark! Glad you had fun. It sounds like something I may have to try after all.
        The only time I was really scared (not the 7' black tip (which was caught by another guy), or the big squid) was when the captain rapped on the ladies room door.
        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Nice report and amazing info thanks. Sounds like ya had fun too...

Comment

Awesome report with great details. Can't wait for the pics.

Comment

Thank you for the infor. I want to go and was definitely leaning towards the Feb trip. We'll see, but not too optimistic.

Comment

Probably the best report i've seen here. Sounds like a blast.

Comment

I can't wait. Just need to figure out what some of the other jigs are and how to get them. I got the diamond jigs taken care of, but have no idea how to find the others.
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Here's the pics:

Nansen Truss Spar (it was dark so pic is poor quality, but the rig is impressive, like from a Bond movie)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 nansen rig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	560498

My postion on the boat, near the regulars, my tackle/gear bucket and ugly stick

Name:	2 position on boat.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	560499

Deckhand untangling lines

Name:	3 deckhand untangling lines.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	560500

Snapper caught on a double bait line

Name:	4 snapper on a double bait line.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	560501

Snapper caught on a Snapper Slapper

Name:	5 snapper on snapper slapper.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	560502

Snapper in cooler on numbered stringers

Name:	6 snapper on tag stringers.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	560503

The four snapper I caught

Name:	7 my four snapper.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	560504

The one tuna I caught, now in my belly

Name:	8 my tuna.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	560505

Half of the boat's tuna catch

Name:	9 half the tuna catch.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	560506

The boat's snapper catch

Name:	10 snapper catch.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	560507

Wahoo caught by one of the other fisherman

Name:	11 wahoo.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	560508

7' Black tip shark (the boat is allowed one shark)

Name:	12 7 ft black tip.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	560509

Game wardens at the dock during distribution of the catch.

Name:	13 warden at dock.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	560510

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                      I can't wait. Just need to figure out what some of the other jigs are and how to get them. I got the diamond jigs taken care of, but have no idea how to find the others.
                      FTU has them. Serious tackle should too. I think one of the owner's of Serious was on this trip.

A couple things I missed on the inital post that I want to add:

My line was significantly abraded by rubbing under the hull of the boat during a tangle. I'll have to replace the line on the reel, but watch out for it.

The suggested method of getting vermillion snapper, is using tiny pieces of squid hooked on double and triple bait lines. Though this trip, I only saw a small amount caught. Consider adding this bait rig to your tackle box.

Comment

Nice pics...again looks like fun

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Just adding a link to the fishing report on the William's site:

http://www.charterfishinggalveston.c...25-26-2014.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X