Purple Martin Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Martin Housing

Put my gourds up today cause the Martins are on their way. I've had Martin houses and gourds up for 45years and always enjoy watching and listening to these wonderful song birds.
    Any of ya'll living on water front homes or camps have Martin Housing set up or have ever done housing ?
    They are mosquito eaters and hopefully eat their share.
    Just curious.
    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

My uncle used to have them on lake Livingston by I've never tried here. Might be interesting to put up a house and see what happens. I've got lots of starlings around here from time to time though.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

My old Dad loved the martins. He had the gourds in spots but had probably 20 big martin houses on full joints of 11/4" pipe all over his property.

Comment

We usually have nests under the cabin

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
          My uncle used to have them on lake Livingston by I've never tried here. Might be interesting to put up a house and see what happens. I've got lots of starlings around here from time to time though.
          Starlings and House Sparrows need to be eliminated. Both are non native birds and are unprotected. If you don't have neighbors close by a good high powered scope on top of an air rifle is the only way to go. I have traps set out as my neighbors are way to close.
          You live on the water ?
          "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Originally posted by mgstei1 View Post
            Starlings and House Sparrows need to be eliminated. Both are non native birds and are unprotected. If you don't have neighbors close by a good high powered scope on top of an air rifle is the only way to go. I have traps set out as my neighbors are way to close.
            You live on the water ?
            I do but it's not fresh water. That matter?
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

This is at my place in Bayou Vista.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                I do but it's not fresh water. That matter?
                Not at all. Martins eat their weight in Mosquitos daily.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post

This is at my place in Bayou Vista.

Sent from my iPhone
                  WOW ! Nice mansion for them .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Brings back good memories, Tom. That's the setup paw paw had.

Comment

Slick Martin pad....neighbors had several when I was a kid

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

good looking house. I have 2 new ones that I have to put up. Top of houses are green. Think it makes a difference? dad had one that top painted off red and they didn't seem to alike it as much. It won't be too long before the scouts come in...only way to rid area of starlings and pests is with a scope on a pellet gun in .177, works real well, but they get wise when you come out.

Comment

Working...
                        X