Birthday Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Birds

Had to get the boat out and run it to make sure everything is good after getting it out of the shop, so decided to take Camo out for a birthday trip since he turns 5 tomorrow.
    The boat ran GREAT all morning and topped out at 26.5 mph.
    We started running across Clear Lake at twighlight looking for birds, but found none, so we ran to a favorite spot and drifted a deep channel. I picked up a 20" trout and released her, then hooked up again and lost one about the same size at the boat. Next cast I hooked into a big girl and she ripped drag a few times before launching herself and shaking loose. She looked to be about 25".
    We decided to check for birds and moved out of the channel and Jeremy calls to say there are birds working in the lake. Headed out towards him and shut down about 100 yds away as the birds were breaking up. We drifted in and the fish were still there. We caught and released 15-20 undersize trout and a few keepers that were given to Jeremy the Yakker. One of the Yakkers caught a nice 22-23" red on his first cast at the birds also.
    We left there and headed farther back into the lake to scout for Reds. We found another group of birds working and pulled up to them. Nice 18" fat girl on the first cast, lost one on the next cast and a dink on the 3rd. while releasing that one, a big boat with an inboard ran right up to the birds and shut down. 3 guys started chunking off the front and one caught a bird on his first cast so they decided to go get it and cranked up and ran right through the fish 20 yds in front of me......Pissed me off, but since I had Camo with me, I didn't scream what I wanted to at them.
    We decided to head in so I could go to work after that episode.
    It was a great day out there and it was awesome to fish with the little man. A few more years and he will fish over 10% of the time!

sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Nice report Chip, the pic with Camo going after the flopping trout made me chuckle. Good to see Jeremy getting some slime in that yak too.

Comment

Nice pics man! Glad ya had such a nice day out on the water.

Comment

"Ear Muffs" I know the feeling better to just hold your tongue Congrats on the catches!
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great report Chip. Thanks.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

congrats on the catch.nice pics
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

His red was 25". After Chip left I caught 2 more trout. Big one was only 18". Kept 3 keepers and ended up giving them to my buddie so I would not have to clean them!!

Comment

nice report Chip

Comment

Great report, nice pics, and good to see you took the younster out with you. Just curious, are the fish safe to eat coming out of the lake and the surrounding areas such as Kemah flats? Thanks

Comment

Thanks for reporting and the pictures !! Got some fish and hooked a 25" !
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Bokey View Post
                      Great report, nice pics, and good to see you took the younster out with you. Just curious, are the fish safe to eat coming out of the lake and the surrounding areas such as Kemah flats? Thanks
                      As far as I know they are. We never eat the ones caught back in the back of Taylor lake north of Red Bluff because there was supposed to have been a problem back there, but I have eaten plenty from the lake and flats.
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

WTG chip...he will remeber this day for a long,long time!
                        glad to see the hamma rig back in action...deer huntin this weeken then off to the everglades!!! good photos are they from that wtr proof camera u showed me??
                        Captain Glenn Stevens
                        Coastal Guide Service
                        www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

i never thought to work birds in clear lake. good trip w/ the boy.
                          michelle

Comment

Good trip Hammer .thats going to be one fishhing kid.
                            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Nice report and some great pics!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X