• Show
Clear All

• Berkley Havoc The Jerk

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Jerk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	575150
    I was selected to field test Berkley’s Havoc The Jerk 3 months ago, so I decided to put it through the ringer. The first thing I did when I got the package in the mail, I pulled one of them out and tested the elasticity of the plastic. It didn’t hold up very well under my elasticity test. That was a red flag for me already before I even put one on my line. The next thing I did was designate half of the bag to salt water fishing and the other half to fresh water.

Since I received them during the peak of the flounder run here on the Texas coast, I wanted to see just how well they would hold up under extreme conditions. The plastic did not hold up as I soon found out. If I was able to get The Jerk past the sand trout and pin fish, the flounder would destroy it. I would average one flounder per plastic.

When I was not able to get The Jerk past the sand trout and pin fish, the plastic didn’t come back in all that great of shape either. The pin fish would peck at the skinnier part of the tail and remover the paddle tail after a couple casts and the sand trout would short strike or give a few head shakes and snap the tail off.

So now that I knew how it would hold up to toothy critters it was time to see how well it would hold up in the body of water it was designed to fish. I went to a creek known for good jerk bait fishing during the fall. The Jerk held up like I figured it would, it held up poorly. I had the same issues on the creek as I did on the bay. I had big bull blue gills chipping away at the tail and removing the paddle tail.

When it came to catching bass, they would tear up the plastic quickly as well. I was lucky to catch two bass off of the same The Jerk before the bass made it impossible to rig. I tried many different styles of rigging The Jerk, from weightless to drop shot and by far the most effective way was throwing it weightless.

With that all being said I give this bait a grade of a D+. The reason it does not get a failing grade from me is the simple fact that the bait does do what it’s designed to do. It will catch you fish. The one thing that would need to be improved in order for me to give The Jerk a higher grade would be the elasticity. If the bait was a little more elastic, I think the bait would hold up better after a fish strikes it. The lure is great if you are sponsored by them and get them by the thousands, but when you are an angler like me who has to spend close to $4 for a pack of 10, you would prefer the plastic to last longer than 1 fish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	575148Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	575149
    Son of the Republic

Thanks for the info....

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool , interesting . Thanks for the review ! What is your elasticity test ? Trying to stretch the bait as far as you can stretch a dollar these days ? Really , what do you do ? I'd like to try it on other plastics for fun . Not that I use plastics much .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I was surprised by the academy brand of soft plastics H2O Express thumping mullet . A Gambler looking long paddle tail that looks like the one you posted .What do you say about them ?
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
          I was surprised by the academy brand of soft plastics H2O Express thumping mullet . A Gambler looking long paddle tail that looks like the one you posted .What do you say about them ?
          I fished with those a few times and they seem to hold up well and have a built in rattle.
          I don'e throw tails much but really like these.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Yep , how ya doing Chip !

Comment

I have tried the H20 Thumpin Mullet and it does work great. I like to use them in the lights on the dike or roll over when the specks are chasing bigger baitfish.

The elasticity test I do is pretty simple. I grab the nose of the plastic firmly in my left hand and with my index, middle, and thumb of my right hand grip the plastic right behind the nose of the plastic and slide my right hand towards the tail. When I get to the tail I will slightly pinch down and try to let the tail slip through. If the tail snaps of with less than a 1/8 to 1/4 inch I typically don't like throwing them.

The best soft plastics I have thrown for the money are Egret baits and strike king redfish magic. The redfish magics are insane by how much they can stretch without snapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Son of the Republic

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                Yep , how ya doing Chip !
                Doing good man....ready for spring!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Working...
                X