got a new yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a new yak

well guys i bought fuzzy's 15 ft search and i'm gonna take it out sat and mmaybe sunday. any suggestions or honey holes will be fished out and much appericated.
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Where do you want to launch from?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

buddy of mine took his yak over to jones lake wed. and only caught some dink trout. we haven't quite decided yet...waiting to see the W@Wind report. imay launch at a customers house in san leon and fish some area i know. i want to get some more time in before i venture to far out.

Comment

Good idea, get comfortable on the YAK before venturing out to uncharted waters

Comment

this is by no means my frist time on a yak a buddy of mine used to teach people in austin on town lake and we would go yaking on the rivers in the hill country but i think i'm going to stay pretty close until i get it all geared up. i got waders,stake out stick,lifevest,rope,milkcrate,another anchor........maybe i'm forgetting something any suggestions

Comment

Sounds about right... Waterproof box for your personal belongings?

Its your first go on this Yak though is all I was saying... Each yak I've been on has been a tad different.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              Sounds about right... Waterproof box for your personal belongings?

Its your first go on this Yak though is all I was saying... Each yak I've been on has been a tad different.
              yes there are a couple of waterproof boxes on it all ready.......thanks fuzzy yes each yak is different but i'll overcome that.i even got leashes this dog is hooked up

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                yes there are a couple of waterproof boxes on it all ready.......thanks fuzzy Yes each yak is different but i'll overcome that.i even got leashes this dog is hooked up
                ready to roll!!! Excellent!

Comment

I'm stooked..how much you wanna but i tip it maybe once or twice.i don't like wearing life vest either

Comment

Get a drift sock for sure.

"feather" your paddle blades. This is where one is cocked at 45degrees or so to the other. The benefit for this comes with paddling into the wind, the end that's not in the water will cut through the air with less drag, so it's not pushing you back any. Once you get used to it, it feels perfectly normal.

Lemme just pull up an article I read a while back. Spend some time working on paddling with good form too. Anyone can paddle a yak, but if you do it right, you will tire much much slower.

I'll begin with the "stroke" and then I'll follow with the information on "feathering"

Like most everthing, proper paddling is about good posture & form...

Sit up straight- with your feet firmly on the foot braces and the foot braces adjusted to where the knees are bent up with about 6" of clearence under the back of the knee. Push your buttocks firmly back into the seat. The preasure from you legs to your butt "connects" you to the boat. With your back straight, bend slightly forward from the waist.
                    Grip you paddle's shaft even with your shoulders- holding the shaft in front of you- even with your chest. You elbows should be at a right angle(90°)
                    *Important to Remember- Never let you elbows bend less than 90°. Imagine that you have a beach ball pinned between the paddle's shaft and your chest- keeping you from ever bringing the shaft closer to your chest. Keep those elbows at 90° or greater all the time. This space between your chest and the shaft is also refered to as the "Paddler's Box"
                    (NEVER "PUMP" THE ARMS/ELBOWS! called the Arm Stroke- BAD)

The stroke begins by rotating at the WAIST with the arms in the Paddler'sBox position. Lean forward and "Catch" the water by your toe. Imagine that you have just stuck the paddle in the ground and you are going to pull the boat up to the paddle's position by rotating at the waist using the muscles in your lower back and waist- NOT YOUR ARMS!
                    You are not pulling the paddle back through the water...
                    You are pulling the boat up to the paddle...

The stroke ends when the paddle's blade is even with your hip NEVER BEHIND YOUR HIP!
                    *Important to Remember- If you end the stroke behind the hip and recover the blade behind the hip- when you lift the blade, you catch water against the face of the blade- thus pulling the boat down to the paddle and slowing the boat from the forward momentum that you just gained in the power faze of the stroke.

Now you repeat the "Catch" by the opposite toe and "Recover" by the opposite hip- all by maintaining the "Paddler'sBox" and rotating at the waist using your lower back and abdomen muscles.

This is called the "Body Stroke".

"FEATHERING" the paddle

Feathering is where we adjust the paddle's blades to where they are at angles to each other- usually it's 60° On two piece paddles, the shaft will usually have two holes where the two pieces come together at the ferrule. If you put the spring button in one hole the blades will be even/straight with each other and if you put the button in the other hole the blades will be at an angle to each other.

Most paddles that are set up for feathering are set up for right-handed people and the normal angle is 60° You can get paddles setup for left-handed people and at different angles like 45° or 90°

The purpose for feathering the blades is so the blade that is out of the water in the "Recovery" position is "slicing" through the wind instead of pushing the flat side of the back of the blade into/through the wind.
                    Out on the open water this makes a huge difference when paddling around in the wind.

To feather the paddle in the stroke,(right-hand version) the right hand grips the shaft. The right blade should be in the correct position to "catch". The right hand stays in this position on the shaft all the time. The right side makes a catch, then stroke and then on the recovery, the right hand will drop slightly by rotating the wrist slightly down, rotating the shaft to turn the left blade to the correct catch position for the left side.
                    The left hand never grips the shaft. The right hand rotates the shaft in the left hand from right catch position to left catch position.

The better your body stroke becomes, the more you rotate at the waist, the less you will notice dropping the right wrist in the catch for the left side.

I don't even notice a rotation in the shaft now because of the natural rhythm that I've developed from many years of paddling.

Practice makes perfect!
                    Taken from http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/articles/padtech.php

Comment

when i got the stak out stick at FTU i was checking out the drift socks...gonna have to wait a little while longer for one.thanks for the tips...the paddle i got is a two peice once again thanks fuzzy. man there is a lot of good info at TKF i've been told. thanks

Comment

Would like to get out there with you one day reeltime.I have recently purchased a Search 15 from a tkfer and have only had to the chance to paddle once in this yak.Man it was great and cant wait to go again.I didn't get much fishing done,was amazed at how well it paddled ,coming from an ok frenzy.Was supposed to hook up with some paddlers two weeks ago but work called first.Christopher.

Comment

Working...
                        X