New Shimano Chronarch CI4+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shimano Chronarch CI4+

I am interested in purchasing this reel and I am getting mixed reviews. Can anyone give me your opinion of this reel for salt water use?

Looks and sounds great as to the reviews I read online. Approved for saltwater use. $270.

Let us know what ya think after you get it.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

When I looked at it, I took the cover plate off to see the brakes and the plate has an opening in it that will allow dust ,water etc into it. I am concerned about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the idea for the holes is to let the water, etc. drain out. It always seems to find its way in.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I don't like those " drain " holes because it lets water in . Years ago I stopped using Chronarchs because they were always wet inside without dunking it . I had to clean it after every use . I got a Abu garcia revo and it was bone dry after several uses . I also don't like reels with centrifugal brakes . Magnetic brakes allows you to adjust the spool without opening the side plate .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I am not sure about the side plate either . I have several other chronarchs that don't get water into them.

Comment

I've never had a reel that didn't get some water in it one way or the other. I always rinse and oil them after fishing, but then I'm a safety man: I'd always rather be safe than sorry.
              I've never had much good experience with the magnetic brakes either. Seems like they're either completely on or completely off. The centrifugals always hold true for me.
              I've never used a Chronarch but they're on my "To Do" list. I picked up a really nice used Core that let me know I could really improve my game with a better reel. Let us know what you decide. I'm really interested.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

My Chronarchs were from 8 or more years ago . I use Revos from 5 years ago or so . Its plate dial has about 12 settings to fine tune it and with the spool rod cap to tighten or loosen , I can twick it nicely . I have some Quantums that only have 4 side plate magnetic settings that I don't like as much . The 4th setting is a little too fast and 3rd a little too binding .
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I picked up a cI4 in November. Took it out a few times and wasn't really impressed. I started hearing about problems with corrosion and the spools chipping along the edge and sold them. I was a fan of shimano until recently. I've moved onto lew's and Abu.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I took mine back and got a Quantum Smoke and have had it for about 6 months, I even surf wade fish, and dunked it. All I did was sprayed it down with a hose put it up, just used it last week and like new! Im sold on Quantum now.
                      Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                      (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                      4340 19th St.
                      Bacliff, Texas 77518
                      http://evansmarine.net
                      http://boatwerxtx.com
                      main@boatwerxtx.com
                      281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

I am getting more reports like yours. I have always used Shimano reels and have been happy with them. I understand that they are upgrading the Curado and it will be out soon. Think that I will wait and see.

Comment

Check it out and let us know . Quantums as stated are worth looking at , Abu , and I never picked up a Lews but guys say good things about them .

Comment

I really like the lew's inshore and the quantum smoke. I wasn't as impressed by the revo's but I would still put them in the top 3 with the two I already named. It was mainly because of the way they fit in my hand. I got tired of reading all the online reviews and just went and bought 7 different reels. Haha. That's my opinion, but not everyone throws the lures I do and fishes the way I do. Hope that helps.

Comment

Curious, what lures do you throw?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X