WOTM #3 ~ Forty Creek Whisky Barrel Select

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOTM #3 ~ Forty Creek Whisky Barrel Select

Forty Creek is a Canadian whisky that I have been wanting to try since I heard about it. This whisky is distilled at the Kittling Ridge Distillery in Ontario, Canada under the watchful eye of John Hall.

The way this whisky is blended is what sparked my interest. Most American whiskies start out as a combination mash bill of corn, barley and wheat or rye and then combined with hot water to form a mash. Then comes the fermenting in the washback and distillation. John Hall does this process a little bit different. The corn, rye and barley are individually mashed, fermented and distilled separately (no mashbill). Each grain distillate is aged separately from 6 to 10 years. The whiskies are then blended together accordingly and then barreled in ex-sherry casks for 6 months before being bottled. The result is a Canadian blend unlike anything I have tried yet.

I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't buy another bottle of FCBS. It is too "desserty" for my taste. However, I am glad I did and I am happy to have had the experience. That being said, I did "sample" more of the FC than I did the previous other WOTMs. Funny how that works.

As a side review, take a look at the book in the photo. "Life Is So Good" is a collection of real life accounts by a man that lived through every second of the 20th century (1901-2000) from start to finish and then some. His name is George Dawson and he is a native Texan from Marshall, Texas. I won't say much more about the book other than when I was done, I wanted to read more of George's stories and I was disappointed that I finished the book. Grab a copy of George's book to enjoy along with your favorite whisk(e)y.

Nose: Butterscotch, caramel, honeysuckle, banana, vanilla custard, orange peel, toffee, hint of maple and a varnish note

Taste: Subtle, Amaretto with a mixed fruit (sherry influence) and vanilla finish

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Attached Files
    Last edited by buoy37; February 16, 2014, 10:48 PM.

Hiram Walker Private Cellar. A man's drink. Lol

Comment

Booker's bourbon is the best, but thanks for all the info!
      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Any man that outlasted 4 wifes is a man god!!!!
        I gotta get the Kindle Edition and start it. Good report on a fancy rich mans bourbon! Its on my list of to get jugs. Strange how they mash each of the 3 grains and then blend in just the right amounts of ethanol from each cut. Blended aint my cup of tea but that's a different approach. I wonder if each grain is malted ? Don't appear to be aged in too heavily charred oak barrels either as it awful light in color if your shot glass is neat ?
        Anywho, tx's for another WOTM report. I'm getting awfully excited about the next one!! Tx's for the report. Need to get you in the Chronicle.
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

WOTM #3 ~ Forty Creek Whisky Barrel Select

I thought the aroma was more complex than the flavor. Very light flavor, but fairly tasty.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

My reviews are making MoFos rich.

First Jim Beam and now this...

Forty Creek SOLD to Italians for $185.6 million Canadian

March's WOTM is on the way (late as always). I have only had a single swig of the new juice.

Comment

I hadn't even bought it yet!!!!!
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks for this month's review ! Thorough report as usual .
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                X