Stingaree flats 11-13-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stingaree flats 11-13-09

Went back Saturday after getting my gear and myself together at noon. The tide had bottomed out and it was SE 9-12 MPH, air 75 degrees, beachfront 75 degrees, partly cloudy, one foot visibility and green, incoming tide all afternoon. Headed about a mile back into a new marsh that at low tide had 1 1/2 -2 foot depth exploring. My buddy KEY LIME KAYAKER had bought us both a BABYBASS BABY X top water in tennessee shad color, pencil thin , 4 " long, and $22 a pop -what a pal - and I thought I would see how it works. First cast and walking it, and bam, a blow up and I netted a 15 " trout. I'll be keeping it in my box from now on. I spent too much time back there , but I learned a few things about it. Made my way to the flats about 4 PM and saw birds working about 100 yards out. Went along the shore and a big flock of gulls developed in front of me. Tossed my corky devil pearl chartreuse back under them and let it sink finally giving it a little twitch and felt a fish trying to take it in. I let it take it and when I felt the line thighten, I set the hook and landed a 20 1/2 " trout. Another toss and a 22 " trout was landed after messing with it too long because it got afoul of my anchor line. Finally gave it some slack and she worked free and I netted her. But time was a wasting. I got my stringer float fouled up in my anchor line and had to unhook, rehook my anchor line to get it untangled- why do these things always happen when you are on fish ? - and rehooked my anchor but not securely as I found that I was drifting and the anchor was gone. So I paddled back towards shore to set up a drift but saw bait flying out of the water and tossed a dayglow corky devil, as the 22 incher had taken off the tail of the pearl one, and hooked up. I played it out carefully as it was a big fish, but ended up being a big 28 " red, not trout. It had taken it all the way down and surgery would be needed to recover it. It was about dark now, so went in at 6 PM. Exciting late afternoon. 3 trout, 2 decent ones and a nice tourney red. The ferry back was a 45 minute Saturday wait ,but I was basking in the glow and didn't mind. Good day . Darn, couldn't upload my pics of the fish again. Will try tomorrow.
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Pictures

MARSH AND FLATS. Got my $22 top water foul hooked on a stinray tossin into shallow marsh shore !! Was'nt going to loose my lure !!
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Pictures

Flats.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the report and pictures, you are a brave man for lifting a stingray into your kayak!

Comment

Thanks for the awsome pictures.. A little brave with the stingray in the yak..
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Quite an adventure.Nice read
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Expensive lure

I got the name wrong of my gift $22 lure-it's MEGABASS DOG X. Just in case you want Santa to give you one- even Santa might draw the line at a $22 fishing lure, unless he fishes !

Comment

Hey, I like living on the edge concerning the ray- encrypted meaning-" stupid ". Not as daring as it looks, net under it all the time and hook-outs to grab the tail.

Comment

Pictures

Group shot.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice Fat trout!

Comment

Thanks Plugger. great pics and report!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Great pictures! Beautiful Redfish.
                        Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Thanks, that 28" red was a great fish for a tournament.

Comment

Good trip
                            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Great report Plugger -- Thanks!! Keep it up with the pics!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X