Floater Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floater Trip

Tiny, Flapper & I did a shakedown test of the new boat. We left Thursday from Surfside Marina around 2:30 PM. It was my first time using a fuel bladder so when the engines died in ICW I got concerned and came back for a quick diagnosis. It turns out the lines just weren't fully primed up from the new source of fuel.

We made great time with light seas 1-2' no wind all the way out to Tequila Rigs. Caught some bait and headed out to Boomvang. We arrived at Boomvang shortly after dark with no moon rising yet. We caught a box full of blackfin 'til sometime after or close to midnight. We made the decision to try for a sword so we moved off the floaters back into those grounds. Still new at the game we fumbled through the process and as a result no bites were received. I'm looking forward to the Swordfish Seminar in late April.

Towards the early morning the wind and wave chop started to build which didn't look like the forecast I had seen the previous day. I stayed watch from 2:30-5AM and got a 1 hour nap before sunrise.

We trolled the early morning & sunrise with some high speed wahoo lures but scattered seaweed became a pain to deal with and clearing the lines with heavy trolling weights was a task to say the least. We abandoned that idea and made our way to a few tile spots.

This was my first time ever fishing for tile and we had some good success. I have to say many thanks to Troy Day at Short Corner Tackle for helping me out over the last few weeks. The process and equipment you need to use overwhelmed me at first but he quickly got me all setup with the proper gear. I definitely appreciate his assistance and willingness to answer all my questions.

The first 2-3 spots we tried didn't produce anything except one breakoff. We moved to our final spot and within 1 min of touching bottom we had fish on! They were no match for the Hooker Electric or LP both winched them straight up. I really like my LP but the Hooker held her own to and was a beast as well. It may take a few more trips to find which one gets the start each time.

Seas built as we did a number of drifts pulling in 6 golden tiles and the ride home had the 29' World Cat working but she was eating up the seas. We made 28-29 MPH through the 3' seas (maybe a 4' thrown in) and ran up to 34 at cruise in the 1-2's. The boat performed well and I was impressed at what she could handle.

Attached are some photos we took.

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice! Love some Tuna & Tile! Those power reels look awesome! Glad you finally got to make the shake down trip.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Glad yall had a safe productive trip! Good going!
        TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Great trip! The dolphin shot is pretty cool. What jigs (& weight) did you use for the blackfin?
          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Straight up from the package 6 oz chrome diamond jigs.

Comment

good trip! Lots Of great eating and no mishaps. Sounds like the boat is seaworthy enough. Most boats that size will take more than we are able or want to put them thorugh. Electric reels are the way to go.

Comment

Nice catching guys, Tile Fish....That's some good eating.

Comment

Way cool, nice job. That is a big tile!

Comment

Working...
                  X