berkley GULP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• berkley GULP

the gulp 3 inch shrimp attracts croaker like magnets. if you are trout fishing it tends to make you mad but if there are croaker in the area they will go for a GULP.

Anything will go for gulp.Hardheads love it too.

Comment

x2 on hard heads I made a quick drift last weekend in Trinity and picked up 10 hard heads and 1 trout. Fun but PITA

What is the best jig head with Gulp? The gulp I found break and I wind up shortening the body to remove the tears from the jig head... I'll cut the tip of the gulp to get a few more casts in before I retire it to the depths of the bay.

I think I'm using a cheap 1/8 jig head. Nothing fancy.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        x2 on hard heads I made a quick drift last weekend in Trinity and picked up 10 hard heads and 1 trout. Fun but PITA

What is the best jig head with Gulp? The gulp I found break and I wind up shortening the body to remove the tears from the jig head... I'll cut the tip of the gulp to get a few more casts in before I retire it to the depths of the bay.

I think I'm using a cheap 1/8 jig head. Nothing fancy.
        its hard to beat a norton screw on because they never come off once their own unless you take it off on purpose. a cheaper solution are the round headed ones with one small pin on it. not the big pins like im guessing you had

Comment

Yeah screwlocks are the way to go. I pay a bit more for the bass assassin chartreuse ones with the eyes. What I really like about them is they have a longer shank, so they can hook fish that hit the lure further back.

Comment

I'll be headed to pick up some then
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Try the 5" watermelon jerk shad if you want to catch trout on gulps.
              I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Don't be giving away my secret lure Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                  Don't be giving away my secret lure Mike!
                  to be fair ill give u a secret tip, spay some WD40 on your scentless baits like bass assasins. dont forget to tell me how it worked for u!!!

Comment

Gulp shrimp have been my area of expertise lately.
                    I have come to the conclusion a bucket of this stuff and a popping cork is cheaper and works better than a fish finder. The other day I was throwing topwaters for an hour, nothing. Used the AP special, nothing. Spoon, nothing. Busted out a popping cork with the laser lock jig head.... caught seriously 10 fish in 20 minutes. Popping corks aren't much fun, but it evens out the frustration.

Relating to the "How slow is slow" thread... It seems like the popping cork is the ideal method lately. Its nice for a couple of reasons, 1) The cork keeps the bait in the middle of the column for as long as its in the water (which is where most of the fish seem to be lately for me atleast)
                    2) As its getting colder, it amazes me how long a fish will wait before even thinking about taking a nibble. I think this is why I wasnt having any luck throwing jigs topwaters etc, you cant keep a jig suspended.

Jig heads:
                    1) Norton Lazer locks have worked the best because the shank is long and you can rig the hook almost all the way down the tail (with the hook all the way down the hook dinks cant bite the tail off, which seems to be on par lately)
                    2) DONT use brown lure's special jighead, it makes the shrimp look extremely unnatural
                    3) I cant remember the name of the jighead, but it has the little rattle balls inside it with big eyes. I KILLED the reds and drums a couple months ago with these jigs. With a berkley, you get the smell AND the sound with these. The only problem is the rattle chamber is kinda big and you have to be careful rigging them or else you will split the bait at the head and its useless.

Comment

Donna is deadly with a 3" new penny gulp with a 1/4 oz gig head. You see me post it all the time and she brings in some nice fish. During the red fish tourny, she nailed that 22", 4lb trout and I can not tell you how many flounder she has caught. Jamin (Flapper) will agree with me!
                      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I hear ya Explorer21.... my gf fishes with me ever so often and i swear... every time she throws a gulp in the water she catches a keeper trout or flounder

Comment

I can't get away from 5" nuclear chicken jerk shad right now. Flounder and reds are killing it!
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Your special jig heads have history with most fishermen about splitting the plastic. But if you look around long enough you will find that the rattle chambers are sold seperatly in stores like academy. This jig head that you are talking about is not for a gulp! Glup needs to make a larger plastic (oversized) to adapt to Capt. Rex jig.

I have taken out a few people in my boat to compaire the catch ratio under a cork with live to gulp new penny 3" shimp. This was in the early spring when shrimp was compairable to the size of bait. Working slicks in the soup area just N of the causeway the catch was compairable. Pickels took full advantage of the gulps but most keepers were on live.

The bonus on the gulps is what everyone else has mentioned. All fish bite on gulps, which makes for a great time taking the nonfisherman out.

AS far as the Rock Port Rattlers goes, well just buy the rattle at academy! Screwlocks and a rattle cage work best. But if you want to really look at the whole scheme of things you have to compaire brown lures to the RR jig head.

They both have big eyes! But the Rock Port Rattle jigs catches fishermen not as much fish as if you install the rattle yourself and save on split plastic and don't fall for that superglue trick either. I will be out tomorrow fishing but not with a rock port rattler for sure. I may have a cork with gulps or a topwater to throw but I would seriously not buy a RR and just get the rattle from academy like I do. Great concept though.
                            Last edited by Kevin; November 24, 2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                              Your special jig heads have history with most fishermen about splitting the plastic. But if you look around long enough you will find that the rattle chambers are sold seperatly in stores like academy. This jig head that you are talking about is not for a gulp! Glup needs to make a larger plastic (oversized) to adapt to Capt. Rex jig.

I have taken out a few people in my boat to compaire the catch ratio under a cork with live to gulp new penny 3" shimp. This was in the early spring when shrimp was compairable to the size of bait. Working slicks in the soup area just N of the causeway the catch was compairable. Pickels took full advantage of the gulps but most keepers were on live.

The bonus on the gulps is what everyone else has mentioned. All fish bite on gulps, which makes for a great time taking the nonfisherman out.

AS far as the Rock Port Rattlers goes, well just buy the rattle at academy! Screwlocks and a rattle cage work best. But if you want to really look at the whole scheme of things you have to compaire brown lures to the RR jig head.

They both have big eyes! But the Rock Port Rattle jigs catches fishermen not as much fish as if you install the rattle yourself and save on splitting the plastic and don't fall for that superglue trick either. I will be out tomorrow fishing but not with a rock port rattler for sure. I may have a cork with gulps or a topwater to throw but I would seriously not buy a RR and just get the rattle from academy like I do. Great concept though.
                              Just like someone else states, Don't be a Nancy! I will state don't be a HOYTE OR DARREL!

You will also find if you use a straight hook or a tru turn hook with the glup under a cork it has the more natural look.

Comment

Working...
                              X